In response to Fat Albert
Fat Albert wrote:
I had the understanding outlines might be available soon.

I was very unaware of maptext being a performance killer, Ive been transferring many of my code to use map_text because I thought it was a more effective way of doing text, plus I had the understanding outlines might be available soon.

Maptext is a performance killer. However, it is less a performance killer than one object per letter or one appearance churn per letter.
I don't think I've noticed any significant gains in performance where maptext is concerned; I still get horrible client lag with even the slightest maptext used for something as simple as damage text. I'm on build 511.1353.
This is quite hilarious. Every single hud item in my screenshot above is using maptext and maptext performance gets mentioned as a side topic... As for the performance comparison of maptext and obj oriented text, I can at least profile obj oriented cpu and can make a decision if its sound or not. It would be nice if I could compare the performance of maptext aswell. So I can know how its affecting the game. Also is there any terminology that is used for this or do we just call it performance delay.
There are no extant tools to measure rendering performance on the client. (Oh my how the feature request side topics stack up! ^_^)
never really had a problem with maptext besides when I had outlines enabled in Elora.
Page: 1 2