ID:2144398

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Downloaded 511 beta to play a game. Was fine, started working on some of my own projects and playing around with client.fps.

Set client fps to a number much higher than world.fps (world.fps=10, client.fps=60), as the document suggested it was safe to do.

From that point on, my project was then subject to random app crashing, app hang ups and extreme dips in FPS(seemingly client).

Following all of this, i completely removed all traces of BYOND suite from my PC several times and re-installed 510, with no fix to the issue.

I've reinstalled several times this past week and am still suffering from massive issues with (all) my projects. I've tried every fix short of reformatting my PC. And in addition to all of those things, the files for my project seem to be corrupted as well, since a friend hosting the game experiences random dream daemon crashes.

Below is a test I have been performing for over a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoXhu39kMA

As you can see here, the code runs fine despite screen capture software running to take the video as well.

An hour later, 1 second into starting the stress test, I am greeted with this screen.

which has been recurring for a week now, sporadically, regardless of what's going on.

Previous to DL and running of 511 my game ran comfortably with almost 0 CPU use on all fronts -- for weeks at a time.

Now it barely runs for an hour or two despite the fact that I've made no changes to warrant such an issue. (I bring all this up because apparently I lie for no reason and nothing I say can be trusted -_- )

Version control of my own projects also confirms everything I've mentioned above to be accurate as well.

I'm *only* dropping this off here to make someone aware that this is a potential issue. nothing more or less.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? yep
In other games? yep
In other user accounts? yes
On other computers? yes

When does the problem NOT occur? pre 511 use.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Not sure, seems to have corrupted earlier versions of DM as well.

Workarounds:

None that I know of, short of a formatting at this point. I've done registry cleans, defrags, system repairs,
world.fps 10 is to low, you have to make it at least 20-30. Test that and see if it still crashes.
There's no substance here for me to investigate. I need a test project. If you had crashes, I need crash details. And merely installing 511 can't in any way screw things up so that 510 would stop working correctly; that's literally impossible.

And seriously, enough with the passive aggressive crap. The last time you posted a "bug report" you not only wouldn't offer a test project, but ANY details that could be used to investigate in any way at all. I don't disbelieve that you had a crash; but I need something to look at.
CPU or GPU has dust in the heatsync fins, this caused an overheat when you did the 60fps test, causing damage.

Or gremlins.
I would think hardware damage would have more serious repercussions. The crash message above clearly shows something is crashing, but without even crash details the best I can do is throw pennies in a well and wish the crash away.
overheating can cause light hardware damage, mainly in gpus, you can generally confirm this by running a gpu benchmark program.

One GPU I had that overheated from one of the heatsync screws being loose (I had installed a custom heatsync) only showed issues randomly while playing video games.
I would think hardware damage would have more serious repercussions. The crash message above clearly shows something is crashing, but without even crash details the best I can do is throw pennies in a well and wish the crash away.

Might be helpful to let him know how he can find/post crash logs for you to investigate.
When I hosted a game with client fps set to 100 and world set to 40 it was really smooth but some players said they would randomly crash like this

Guessing it is cpu/gpu related tho because they explained things that involved using animate before crashing

I never tested with a lower client fps but the issue went away when I just went back to sticking with 40 as my world/client fps
To provide a crash log, all you need to do is open up the Windows event viewer and look for details from the crash. I need to know the module and offset where the crash occurred, and of course the exact version number that was in use at the time.