ID:2146147

Well, I seem to have over exceeding competition... And his name or account name I should say is Dayoak. If you know anything about Heroes United, or have played it recently then you probably know who that is. Now that I am nearly in completion with my Heroes United server I know I can strive to get more players than him... Now I am very skeptical about AFK training, but now I know the way to obtain a solid playerbase is through implementing some sort of AFK train system. Now I beg all of you to give my server a shot because Once upon a time heroes united use to involve skill and manual training. Nowadays its just who does more afk training to see who is superior. My server is a mixture of both. AFK alongside Manual training. Come experience the mixture today!!! =D byond://BYOND.world.1951859084...connected
Heroes United has always been based on AFK training. I know this because it was one of the first games I got into after being introduced to BYOND. I quit once I realized there was no reaching peoples' level 1 million plus characters and never looked back.
yea but now its even more AFK train lmao. I remember the good times with my macro program sparring in my guild house while continuing eating senzu beans
You didnt read. I said I changed it up lol. I just wanted to get a playerbase going is all =/
Garafolawesome3 said:
Now I beg all of you to give my server a shot because Once upon a time heroes united use to involve skill and manual training. Nowadays its just who does more afk training to see who is superior. My server is a mixture of both.

I did read, and was commenting on the above.

Ganite said:
I remember the good times with my macro program sparring in my guild house while continuing eating senzu beans

For real though.
Lol, well macroing forbidden on mine xD
I was just hoping ppl would click that link, but obviously this aint a good place to advertise xD
In response to Garafolawesome3
Heh, I forgot to mention that. The small amount of folks who use the forum aren't going to be too interested in anime-related content. You're much better off going to a website where the people already like DBZ/anime and such. (I'm not sure how far you'll get with just a link to a server though..)
*shrug*
I pander to what the players of the game want, what's so bad about that? If they enjoy playing the game, more power to them.
Whether AFK training or skill based, it entertains them.
playing the game

AFK training

PICK ONE
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
PICK ONE

Point taken, and I more than know that.
It still entertains them, or they wouldn't play sit on the game, so it's whatever I suppose.

People enjoy what they enjoy, ain't here to be a judge.
entertain

AFK

PICK ONE
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
PICK ONE

Can this at least end in a draw?!
...It keeps them happy?
In response to Dayoak
Dayoak wrote:
Ter13 wrote:
PICK ONE

Can this at least end in a draw?!
...It keeps them happy?

Nobody's happy with a draw ;)
Nobody's actually happy AFK training, Dayoak. Sure they're sitting on the game, but what good does that do you, or them? They aren't interacting with each other or the world; they're probably giving their attention to a different game while they wait. Meanwhile they use up resources and bandwidth, and players who want more action have to deal with the fact that 95% of the players online are actually AFK.

If training is meant to be a component of the world, then make it interesting. Limit how often it can be done, and/or make it a minigame that demands a certain amount of attention. Send the players off on quests to unlock more training secrets.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Nobody's actually happy AFK training, Dayoak.
I wouldn't be so sure of that given the community of the game, but I don't know, I don't play do anything on the game. I think the whole thing is just a gratification machine for the players, they just enjoy seeing their statistics go higher and higher. Whether or not that's good or bad for their mental health, I don't know, I'm not a psychiatrist.

Sure they're sitting on the game, but what good does that do you, or them? They aren't interacting with each other or the world;
Talking with each other is actually a larger portion of the game than playing it, it's more or less an afk-training chat room.

they're probably giving their attention to a different game while they wait.
Yes, they are. A few of them talk about the other games they're playing with each other.

Meanwhile they use up resources and bandwidth,
Mostly a non-issue, the community isn't vast (20-40 at any given time.)

and players who want more action have to deal with the fact that 95% of the players online are actually AFK.
AFK training/macroing has been the culture of HU since around late 2007, sad I know but it is what it is. The few actually new players to the game either continue afk training or leave (I'll touch on this below,) the community is mostly made up of older players of the game.

If training is meant to be a component of the world, then make it interesting. Limit how often it can be done, and/or make it a minigame that demands a certain amount of attention. Send the players off on quests to unlock more training secrets.
Oh man. That's something I've been meaning to get around to, trust me I don't like the game (or any other anime afk games) as much as you guys. I've tried to make the game a non-afk fest, as Garafola does, it didn't work out. Newer players found training/activities too difficult to do, older players didn't like "it being so slow."

Maybe I did it wrong. Maybe I should integrate new non-afk features gradually and gently.
AFK training

keeps them happy?

Your players being happy because they are AFK (by definition not playing your game) shouldn't be something to strive for.

Maybe I should integrate new non-afk features gradually and gently.

You should nuke your playerbase from orbit and start over, because if you are pandering to an audience that likes AFK training, you'd literally be better off not having an audience.

As it stands, people are coming to your game specifically because it allows them to not play it.

Doesn't that feel a little insulsting? That the people you are trying to please not only hated the fact that you made a bunch of content to try to keep them happy, and instead of playing it, decided "Nah, I prefer to log in and not play."?

It kind of sums up this whole conversation. Rather than stick to your guns with "AFK training is good" as you did in the beginning, you are now turning your back to that position and trying to convince us that this is your position too, but nothing can realistically be done about it.

stance

PICK ONE.
You could just, you know, circumvent the entire training/grinding thing altogether and create a Dragon Ball ( or better yet, your own IP ) PvP game where you simply log in, choose a character, and start fighting. The reason people are AFK training is because they actually don't want to train at all.

This is part of why MOBAs are a success as a genre. It skips entirely over the grind part and lets you do exactly what you want to do: fight other players in skill-based combat, which is why for me it was love at first sight. If people in your game only actually play the game when they are PvPing, why not redesign the game in a way to where no one has to train at all? Take the training aspect out, balance all the characters and abilities so that they are on equal footing, and let them PvP all day.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Your players being happy because they are AFK (by definition not playing your game) shouldn't be something to strive for.
True and fair point.

You should nuke your playerbase from orbit and start over, because if you are pandering to an audience that likes AFK training, you'd literally be better off not having an audience.
Haha, I see where you're coming from there.
Only reason I look at the chat is to see if there's a bug I need to fix, or one of my old friends is online and talking.

As it stands, people are coming to your game specifically because it allows them to not play it.
....yup.

Doesn't that feel a little insulsting?
Yes.

That the people you are trying to please not only hated the fact that you made a bunch of content to try to keep them happy, and instead of playing it, decided "Nah, I prefer to log in and not play."?
They're never pleased with anything I ever do, so a little while back (this decision happened a month or so ago. I've been hosting for over a year, in the beginning is when I tried to make the game a non-afk fest... it didn't work, I tried it for several months) I said screw it and do whatever I want whether they like it or not; I just haven't gotten around to the whole interactive gameplay bit.

It kind of sums up this whole conversation. Rather than stick to your guns with "AFK training is good"
I never meant to insinuate or seem like I thought afk training was good, I think the opposite. Miscommunication on my part or something.

The only reason it still exists (as the only valid form of training or statistical progression) is because that's what the people who click play on the server want. This will change eventually. Like I said earlier maybe if I gradually include new content and make afking/macroing obsolete (or maybe keep it in some form, to appease everyone) they'll accept it. Maybe not. I don't know, I'll have to try it.

you are now turning your back to that position and trying to convince us that this is your position too, but nothing can realistically be done about it.
I've thrown ideas about new active training methods and other content around in the chat before and have received positive comments on the ideas.
As stated above I just haven't gotten around to it. However if I were to keep both, it'd keep new players entertained longer, give old players new things to do and probably have an overall positive impact on the game.

stance
PICK ONE.
Wait what are you quoting?