ID:2146356

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
It's obvious people don't dive deep into byond. So with the featured games we can Pay to have a game we like or even our own game featured. I like proelium so id probably pay 1$ a day to have it featured on the main page so people would at-least discover the game and maybe play it.

So people could pay 1$ a day to have it featured 4$ a week or 15$ a month.

Moving onto the rest of the stuff.

Listing some of the most recent forum topic that was created or replied to. Will ensure people at-least see whats going on in byond. Most people don't even bother with the forum. With thousands of people playing byond.Why is it that a post that's fresh rarely even tops 4 replys in 1-2 days?

Now The hired help section would clean up the nightmare that is the forum.The job posting section in particular and it would also allow you to hire some trustworthy people and a rating system could ensure you don't get a source thief.This would allow you to get the best value for your buck.This would increase the amount of games created and fix the hassle of finding staff. It would also show coders/pixel artists/designers/hosts that are active or not active by allowing them to opt out of the listing if need be. Also having a link beside their name that would transfer you to their portfolio. Would allow people to look at their art/code/server info/design docs and maybe even comment below so you can review if the person is indeed legit based on peer review.

Alright that's all i have to say this is a rough outline of how it would function i plan on cleaning up the rest of the site also. Heres the image

TBH making the forums/developer community more front and center has always led us in the wrong direction.

Basically, the consensus is that this is a horrible place filled with horrible people and all of our regular users are here to troll and abuse people into leaving.

It's a nice effort, but the two best parts of this community ATM are SS13 and NEStalgia as far as you know, actually helping keep the lights on.

Moar quality games be what we need.

The job posting section in particular

There are literally a handful of people here that are competent enough to write DM code in exchange for cash, and none of them are in need of advertising (or for that matter, generally want to be showcased to total strangers). Their dance cards are quite full.
In response to Ter13
Well i did say they could opt out of the front and center help wanted section. Also we have rules against trolling on non off topic shouldn't they be enforced lord andrew used to lay down the law. Just saying if we want to grow we have to enforce rules. I'm working hard on my game and i'm also working hard for other peoples games for free. The feature section again if we enforce rules and limit it to non anime games i think it could be a big money maker maybe even have an asset selling section so people can buy your sprites/code etc (pop fizzy made a game like this).

In order for this to work lum will have to assign moderators to look over the games the assets etc to make sure we don't get beat down by copyrights. Or am i just wasting my time here?

We need people. Make all the games you want if the folks coming in have no idea how to navigate byond. I saved a few conversations to back this up. Seeing whats inside byond front and center will make it more appealing unity is making fistfuls of cash with this same concept as is rpg maker.

One last thing. We have developers making some horrid games. Alot of the games just recycle the same ideas from 15 years ago expecting new results for tired game mechanics. The amount of creativity i've seen is next to non. The few people that had creativity left byond a long time ago not saying we don't have some creative people but we are surely lacking. We have good games people just don't host them(whos going to sift through 15 years of games just to host 1?). Tanks is amazing. Proelium is good also lode wars all these games were huge hits but died due to no hosts. Higoten posts the talented people. Out of thousands of users hes posted less than 50.

Anyways sorry for the long winded reply i give up on this topic just wanted to put my 2 cents in and actually put forth an effort. I'll make Noko and then wash my hands of byond if it doesn't fan out no point in building a net dream on a dead wasteland of trolls. (moderate stuff jesus)
In response to Tac
Any idea that involves more volunteers doing more work is a non-starter. This is a direction we've emphatically moved away from.
alright RIP BYOND
In response to Tac
Tac wrote:
no point in building a net dream on a dead wasteland of trolls. (moderate stuff jesus)

There's your problem: you're concerning yourself with the community rather than whether or not the software fits your needs. If you want to make multiplayer 2D games from the ground up fast and relatively easy, BYOND is good for that. If you also want it to supply a decent community for your game then, well, that's not really what a game engine is for.
Wait. I just realized. This is a uniquely disguised "BYOND is dying" post. The forums have been so dead recently that we haven't even had one of those in like, months.

Cool. It's a nice thought, but it just feels too much like blogs. Blogs IMO are why we are what we are today rather than what we were in the golden era.
In response to Ter13
i was here for the golden era
In response to Pixel Realms
Actually community and engine always go hand and hand if that wasn't the case then wed have no forum . If you want proof of this visit any other engine game maker pro,unity etc. Our main focus should be to attract people.I agree with ter making games will help but not featuring good games that were popular and just died from lack of hosting is an idiotic thing its like finding a bunch of classic cars in a barn then sealing the barn back up instead of cleaning the dust off those cars and giving them a chance to drive down the highway again.

The main focus on this was to attract players when you attract players you attract money when you attract money you attract developers and when you attract developers you make more games and the circle repeats. If I come to a site and see the byond front page the way it is i'm generally not going to dive to far into it. The feature game thing can bring a low pop game to light.Since most people don't even really try the low pop games. When you design something you make it idiot proof actually making people have to sift through 15+ years of games to find one to host or play doesn't really help it when people see something on a list such as this they are more incline to actually look into them if you want proof i can show you a ton of huge hit games 1000+ favorites that are rotting away they have more likes than some of the current popular games just saying. Only way i've noticed to attract people is to log in a ton of fake keys the number of logged in players generally attracts people if the population is less than 10 people generally stay away as much as possible that's all i have to say i strayed a bit probably wasting my breath just sit on your hands i'm sure doing nothing is better than trying something. Ill leave it at have a nice day
In response to Pixel Realms
I asked for opinions on here about my games story the first comment was *kill yourself* the 3rd comment was *actual trash*. How do comments like these help anyone?
In response to Ter13
That's fine and dandy i do pay attention to games being created and the engine updates(i wouldn't be here if i didn't see something of use being created) but how is that going to draw people here in the mean time? Do we just wait for a project to actually finish and then go silent 6 months later when the owner decides hes bored? Or my favorite the source gets leaked then all heck breaks loose and the game dies forever.

Also i think your games graphics look nice its very old school. When will it be completed?