ID:2147986

BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I'm not sure how to describe it but client.fps is a suspect I believe, but any game running the 511 Beta runs terribly on my laptop, if it's running the stable version all is well.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Use BETA version of BYOND.
Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
stem Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2016, 02:42:51
Machine name: CORNELIUS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.160902-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 5555
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/26/16 14:17:32 Ver: 05.0000B
Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7104MB RAM
Page File: 2681MB used, 11525MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Expected Results:
No framerate issues.
Actual Results:
Framerate issues.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Yes
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Unsure but I've heard reports from Kidpaddle45 and Ishuri saying they've had this issue.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) Stable version.

Workarounds:
Unknown, but I've posted a tidbit of my pc specs to see if that could be a cause, if you want the full dxdiag report PM me.
I was just about to post the same thing. When I run my game in the beta there is a very noticeable lag when picking up an item buy walking over them or using them. In the stable there is no lag whatsoever. I can provide a source to my project to Lummox if he wants but I think it's more of a issue with the beta than the source.
Source is essential to investigating this issue, because there's nothing in the original post for me to look at. I can't figure out what's causing the issue from simply looking at specs; I need something to test on my end. Houssen, your source would be valuable as well if you're experiencing the same issue.

That the beta should be slower is puzzling to me, because I don't see any reason that the beta should behave differently for code that doesn't use any of the new features, and the drawing code hasn't really been changed in any substantive way either. If you're not even using client.fps, performance should be identical to 510, unless something in the gamepad code is causing trouble.

It would also help if there's any way you can nail down an exact version where the slowdown appears.
BYOND 511.1356, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel HD Graphics 5000, Intel Core i7 4650U

If I create a new environment, delete the stub file, and run Dream Seeker, Task Manager shows Dream Seeker capping out at ~25% CPU. No code or other resources required. I can even create a new skin file, remove everything but a default window and close button, and it'll still max out the core doing seemingly nothing at all.

If I run the game in Dream Daemon, Dream Daemon itself uses very little CPU, but Dream Seeker still maxes out the core.
Out of curiosity, do you have a gamepad attached to your system?
In response to Lummox JR
nope
I wonder if that's it. I'll run some non-gamepad tests and see if I can see a performance difference on my end. My thinking is that maybe the joystick code is going nuts trying to find a device when there isn't one.
In response to Lummox JR
It very well could be. Yut Put's been streaming development of a game that, at the time (and probably still) only supports gamepad controls, and it was running perfectly smoothly for him.

edit: I only haven't had a gamepad since last Saturday. Been away from home with just a laptop and I didn't bring my wireless Xbone controller with me.
I've not encountered this issue, and I've always got one or more gamepads plugged into my machine. That would explain a thing or two.
edit: I only haven't had a gamepad since last Saturday. Been away from home with just a laptop and I didn't bring my wireless Xbone controller with me.

See, that might explain some times. because its running fine for me on 511. maybe you have to once had a gamepad connected, but it none be connected at the moment.

I had a player reporting the same lag issue report the same thing, they used to have a playstation controller and adapter, but recently sold it.
@Lummox
I have PMed you a link to my source. The game doesn't use any gamepad either.
It seems when the gamepad is disconnected, some debugging strings are still being built for output, even though they're meaningless in release mode. I can't imagine those are eating up huge swaths of time, but you never know. I also added a throttle for cases when the gamepad isn't there or doesn't respond. I suspect that will help if this is the cause.
In response to Lummox JR
Thank you. Sorry I couldnt be of more help
I'm getting even worse lag with my project (the same one I sent you Lummox) since I updated. I am starting to think it may be a problem with my code but I don't have much happened. The moment you pick up an item browse is called and that's about it. Not sure where all the lag is coming from.
In response to Houssen
profile the world and see if anything is eating cpu
Done that, this is what I get after picking up an item in the profiler:

Profile results (total time)
Proc Name Self CPU Total CPU Real Time Calls
---------------------------------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
/obj/proc/pick_up 0.000 0.125 0.126 1
/client/West 0.000 0.125 0.126 20
/turf/Entered 0.000 0.125 0.126 8
/obj/Entered 0.000 0.125 0.126 1
/mob/proc/update_inventory 0.000 0.125 0.126 1
/mob/proc/add_item_to_inventory 0.000 0.125 0.126 1
/icon/proc/RscFile 0.125 0.125 0.126 6
/client/Topic 0.000 0.000 0.000 2
/icon/New 0.000 0.000 0.000 6
/mob/proc/output_text 0.000 0.000 0.000 1
/mob/proc/move_loop 0.000 0.000 0.000 56
/client/North 0.000 0.000 0.000 21
/mob/proc/move_accumulator 0.000 0.000 0.000 41
/mob/proc/update_world_chat_output 0.000 0.000 0.000 1

This only happens from me moving 8 spots and picking up an item by calling Entered on it's turf.