ID:2148033

Resolved
Parallel animations were broken in some cases, causing infinite loops or sometimes no effect at all.
BYOND Version:511.1356
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
A short summary of what is explained here: In a situation where two animations would be set to play parallel to each other, only the latest-played animation seems to stick. If the ANIMATION_PARALLEL flag is included in both animate() calls (as opposed to only the first), the client freezes up and crashes instantly.

Here is a test case.

Steps to Reproduction:
1. Open the test case (provided above).
2. Launch the project.
3. Execute the testcaseANIMATION_PARALLEL verb.
4. Execute the testcaseANIMATION_PARALLEL_FLICK verb.
5. Observe unexpected results.

Expected Results:
I expect the ANIMATION_PARALLEL flag to allow multiple animations to play on an atom without freezing and crashing the client.

Actual Results:
At best, the animations do not play as expected. At worst, your client freezes up and crashes near instantly.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Yes; successfully reproduced in a testing environment.
In other user accounts? N/A
On other computers? N/A

Workarounds: N/A
I'm not getting any crashes, only hangs.
In response to Lummox JR
That may be what I meant. The difference between the two?
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
That may be what I meant. The difference between the two?

A crash is a crash. The application actually fails to the point where it closes, and this generates an exception code and information about the point where the crash occurred. This info is saved in the Windows event viewer.

A hang is when the application is remains open but stuck and unresponsive, often using maximum CPU.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Parallel animations were broken in some cases, causing infinite loops or sometimes no effect at all.
In response to Lummox JR
Ah, understood. Thanks for the fix too. I'll make sure to try it out next release.