ID:2148343

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 52.0.2743.116
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Dream maker keeps crashing. If I click on an object, turf or mob in dream makers side pane while editing a map dream maker crashes. This might have something to do with atom variables or object parent types but I'm not sure. As soon as I try to make a instance of turf dream maker crashes. This is really annoying because I can't edit the map. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is this with a specific project? If so it would help if you could send me that project.
In response to Lummox JR
Yes this is with a specific source. I'll spend the rest of the day going through it and trying to resolve the issue. The source is like a gig lol.
Holy frell. Yeah, gonna need to trim that down.
Not to sway off helping but why is your source 1 gig? O.O
In response to Lummox JR
So any ideas, tips/advice?
No. I still need a test project that isn't mondo ridiculous in size.
In response to Lummox JR
Went from a gig to around 100mb..... I pmed you.
So...... I guess there's no fixing this
Sorry, I've had some other items on my plate here. To be honest this is going to be a difficult one to investigate because even at just over 100 MB, your source is mondo ginormous. I'm not sure what to expect from the compilation process, and it might well be that it won't run in the debugger. But I'll find out.
100 MB source code? That's insane. The SS13 branch I work on only have 22 MB of code and that's including some random non-DM files like HTML files which probably count for a couple MB.

Did you autogen a bunch of code with tools or something? Because else I can't imagine what kind of time it'd take to write something this large.
The entire BS12 source tree, including images, sounds, etc is only a little over 400MB, of which a little under 12MB is DM. Unless your project is eighty times the size of BS12, you don't have a gigabyte of code. Maybe a gigabyte of assets, with plenty of images/sound, but not a gigabyte of code.
BS12 is actually around 75MB in a form where it can compile, a Git clone of it is between 450MB and 600MB because of artifacts and history files.
In response to Nadrew
My "a little over 400MB" includes build results (ie dmb, rsc) and some of my test environments, but doesn't include anything stored in the .git folder.
Well, that's not just the source tree then =P
In response to Nadrew
Including extra information in the BS12 count makes a gigabyte even less plausible; a 75MB BS12 makes a gigabyte 13x the size of BS12 even if it includes assets, significantly more if it were just code.
Nobody was arguing that fact, I was simply pointing out that BS12 is even smaller than you noted, driving the point even further.
;( wish I could edit the map
You need to vastly rethink how you're managing your resources, there's no reason a BYOND game should ever be anywhere near as large as yours.
Could you redefine "crash" to be more specific? From a developer's stand-point, it's a major difference whether the application:
  • Closes silently
  • Closes with a message box about an error
  • Freezes for several minutes and you get a message box saying it's become unresponsive.

If you get a message box about it being unresponsive, it also matters if, say, you choose to let the application continue processing and it never regains responsiveness, or if it does so a couple of minutes later.
Page: 1 2