ID:2148894

I recently downloaded BYOND for the sole purpose of playing a game, and every time I click on the server link nothing happens. (At least, not after a window pops up asking me what I want to launch with and if I trust BYOND.)

I've tried running two different games in two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox,) and every time I'm just met with nothing happening after I click the link. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm not sure if this is just me missing something with BYOND or if my computer's a butt. Thanks in advance~
Did you use the installer? Because by no means should you be getting a message asking if you trust BYOND.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Did you use the installer? Because by no means should you be getting a message asking if you trust BYOND.
Installer? Crikey, I think so.

I downloaded the .EXE, launched that, and went through that whole procedure. Just now I tried launching the installer again to double-check, and it said BYOND was already running. (It should be closed right about now, though.)

So... I have no clue what's going on. I guess my OS just can't run games in BYOND properly...? That'd suck but, eh, it's about as top-end as a snail's bottomside anyways so I wouldn't be too surprised.
Normally the pager not appearing is the result of it being dragged offscreen with multiple monitors, but that sounds unlikely in your case. Out of curiosity, do you have anything like accented characters in your full My Documents\BYOND path?
Just normal letters, numbers, and miscellaneous punctuation. (Lots of hashes # and {curly braces} being the stand-out "weird" ones there.)

The in-browser pager doesn't do much either. Clicking on the various tabs does nothing and they're all that's there. (Home, friends, settings, and a collapse button.)

Maybe it's the .db-shm and .db-wal files in the cfg folder? I've never even heard of those extensions before, and my laptop doesn't have anything that it's inherently able to run them in.
Those files are the local database files used by the pager. But if you have the pager actually opening, just showing up as blank, that means it's having some trouble with that database. This most often happens when the BYOND user data path (My Documents\BYOND) is in a path with Unicode characters. Russian users for instance have had massive problems with this because of the Cyrillic characters, and I haven't figured out a solution. For some reason this really drives the SQLite code crazy.

The fact that you have hash and curly brace characters in your path, though, is bizarre. I would recommend trying what I usually advise Russian users to do: Move the BYOND data folder to somewhere simpler, like C:\BYOND. (You can do this in the pager's settings under Preferences | Advanced.)
That's the thing, though, none of the pagers will flat-out work.

The cascading style sheet document is the only one that actually opens to anything, but as a hodgepodge of various characters I'm not sure what to do with it.
The Chrome HTML file, as mentioned before, launches with a few tabs that do nothing when clicked.
The JScript file tells me that the "document" is undefined.

(Thanks for all the help by the by! I appreciate it. ...and sorry if this is a bit frustrating for you, because it's just as much so for me.)
In response to NesMettaur
If you can get the pager open just by opening the pager(dbl clicking it or going to it through a shortcut) try these steps because chrome and firefox give me errors about not having byond and won't link me and i have installed me more then once and in different places.

1. Go-to game right click play now button and hit copy link address AKA yellow arrow

2. Click the gear icon aka red arrow on pager

3. click open location aka blue arrow then paste link then hit ok.

Also try downloading the zip version of byond then logoff your pc then back on then running the pager and then just doing this from now on if the pager runs that way if the pager won't even run through install ^_^.
Well... holy crudsicles, it really was as easy as using the zip instead of the exe.

I am so sorry for making this harder than it needed to be, lol. But regardless of that, thanks for the help anyways! I'd of never thought to do that without y'all troubleshooting for me.
In response to NesMettaur
Your welcome and the forum is here for helps :)