ID:2149073

I want to create a numerical stat display located on a player's screen that updates every second or whatever. The text would be a part of the players hud displaying their current stamina / max stamina.

I'm not sure if I should use onscreen text or create an image or whatever else there is. I'm not sure what would be the most efficient way to create the display and constantly update it.

Well, I personally have been using the interface to make a custom window with an on screen HUD button the player clicks to open the window and while the window is open, it stays updated. The choice is yours, but they're are many ways to do it. You just need to decide on which method you want to do so someone can point you in the right direction.
I think maptext on a HUD element is your best bet. As far as keeping it updated, you'd want to have a loop running to do that if it updated continuously. You could do such a thing in Stat(), but it's better to handle this yourself on your own time.

For something like health or stamina, you really only need to do the update whenever it changes. For instance when it drops, or is boosted by something (like a health potion or whatever), or when the max changes, those are times to trigger an update. If it slowly regenerates over time, you'll need an update loop to not only update the value but to update the UI. The loop only needs to run when regeneration is happening, and can be stopped when the meter is full.