ID:2149982

BYOND Version:510.1347 and 511.1357
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 53.0.2785.116
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: A few days ago I updated to the beta build (511.1357) from stable (510.1347) and started getting an error popup that caused any game where it was encountered to stop functioning, requiring me to reboot it up and never use certain verbs or buttons. I seem to be the only one even aware of this ever happening and it only started happening since the upgrade to beta (511.1357) build. I've downgraded back to stable (510.1347) and even done a full re-installation to stable (510.1347) to no avail.
Example games: If I launch Generations and use the "Story" verb, it causes the error every time.
If I launch Roleplay Rebirth and use the "Rules" verb, it causes the error every time as well.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open game of choice
2. Press button
3. Receive error message "Encountered an improper argument"
4. Click ok
5. Game stops working

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results: No popup, game doesn't stop working, verbs aren't causing error

Actual Results: Popup appears, game stops working, unable to use certain verbs

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Multiple games
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Nobody else seems to have the issue, but I don't have another computer to check with

When does the problem NOT occur? Never

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I've downgraded all the way to 504.1234 and the problem stopped occurring. Have not tested any in-between versions.

Workarounds: Downgrade to older version.

This has been a difficult issue to pin down; it seems to be a result of the compiler used by newer builds as of late 506 onward.

When this happens in Dream Maker, it always seems to have something to do with very very long file paths. If your BYOND user data directory is in a long path, that would make a great deal of sense. What does your full user path (My Documents\BYOND) look like?
C:\Users\*****\Documents\BYOND
1 star per letter
Hmm. Well that rules out the long type path issue, then.
Seems to happen when a new window with referenced info is to be brought out. And those windows tend to have lengthy information that I need.

I ended up having an entirely unrelated issue from version 500 so I went up to 504.1234 and everything is just dandy now.
A side note, sometimes these issues sit for a while without being fixed, and a BYOND version of "Latest and Beta" isn't too helpful if you're a month down the line and have no idea what the versions were at a month ago :)
Isn't this a problem with language settings? I could have sworn someone had nailed it down to that but for the life of me I can't remember where I heard it.
GingaNinja's right; I didn't notice it right away, but your version number is not a version number at all. I need the actual version number you used in this report. If you saw it in 510, just say 510. Don't say "latest and beta"; just say later in the post that you tried it in the beta as well.

Please edit your report.
Post updated. Actual numbers given. Sorry about that. Sorry for the wait.
Any progress with the fix? I can't even launch BYOND anymore without Improper argument popping up.
This kinda got lost under the rug, but it's still missing a lot of information. Rasengetsu didn't specify the actual path, leaving some information out that might actually be highly relevant--since Unicode characters in the user path tend to be flies in the ointment.

Clusterfack also pointed out that language settings are often an issue. What language settings are in use?
Yes it may be helpful to know the language your OS is set and the language Byond is set, and the language the place you are getting the improper argument is in.
I think that may be the issue, so how should I go about changing the language in the BYOND files? Since I cannot actually launch the pager anymore.