ID:2150921

Resolved
browse() output didn't work correctly with files.
BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 53.0.2785.116
Applies to:Webclient

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

After failing to get a pop control to display at all (possibly another bug, still investigating), I attempted to use browse() to create a pop up menu. It functions fine in Dreamseeker and works inconsistently with an auto translated webclient skin, but with a custom skin, it does not work. Changing the file input into text in the browse() proc creates the pop-up as expected.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Create a project.
2. Give it a custom webclient skin.
3. Create a verb that will browse a small HTML file.
4. ????

Or use my latest iteration of my all-purpose test environment: http://files.byondhome.com/AlexandraErin/ this_one_does_browse_stuff_src.zip

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
src << browse('file.htm',"window=sure")

--or--

src << browse(file("file.htm","window=whynot")

Expected Results:

Contents of HTML file named will be displayed in a pop-up window.

Actual Results:

Nothing happens. Pop-up window, if created, is not visible.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time with a DMS-defined skin, under circumstances I can't pin down with a translated one.
In other games? I was able to reproduce it in a test environment.
In other user accounts? It seems to be account independent.
On other computers? I have not tested it.

When does the problem NOT occur?

When using Dream Seeker, sometimes when using a "default" skin translated from my DMF-style interface.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I encountered this problem in 510 before upgrading to the latest beta build.

Workarounds:

Using raw text in the pop-up.

Sidenote: I have been, for the past 48 hours, utterly unable to get any pop control to be visible at any point on my screen when using my custom skin, even with the fixes in the latest build. If the browse() proc is causing the client to create a pop control, this could be related?
That does sound like it could be related. Sigh. I fixed a standout bug in the pop control for your earlier report (it was causing an error that showed up in the JS console), but didn't really put it through its paces beyond that. Your test project should help me get to the bottom of it all.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
browse() output didn't work correctly with files.
After I fixed this bug, I added an info control to your custom skin and tested this. Popups appeared for me, so I'm not sure that there's any lingering issue with those.