ID:2153938

Would having something like a quad core i5 processor running at 3.0 ghz grant me faster compiling time or does it not depend on that
Code structure matters way more than core speed. A poorly structured project with an oversized map and bloated type tree will compile slow pretty much on any hardware.

But overall, the more cores you have doesn't matter for compilation. Go for raw processor speed, and for glob's sake, don't use a laptop.
In response to Ter13
I'm purchasing a new desktop tomorrow,it's a quad core i5 processor with all running at 3.0 ghz.Thanks for the quick reply too,this will help me alot
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
and for glob's sake, don't use a laptop.

Core i7-5700HQ (4Core/8Thread), 16GB DDR3, GTX 970m 3GB, 1TB 7200RPM.

Laptops aren't bad. Just, cheapo under-powered laptops are bad.
Agreed; But for what you pay for the cheapo, under-powered laptop, you can build a powerhouse desktop.

If you are programming, you really shouldn't be doing it on the go. Too many distractions.

TL;DR:

Powerful, Cheap, Portable. Pick two.
I'm using an i7 4690k. I can pretty much compile anything I've ever made with BYOND in like 2-3 seconds tops. The act of clicking the compile button takes longer than the act of compiling does.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Agreed; But for what you pay for the cheapo, under-powered laptop, you can build a powerhouse desktop.

If you are programming, you really shouldn't be doing it on the go. Too many distractions.

TL;DR:

Powerful, Cheap, Portable. Pick two.

It's only like 9 lbs. I was using it for college and wanted something that I can use for cars (obd2-to-PC), program, game, and do some media browsing without hiccups.

I have a few desktops at home that are dedicated to when I wanna sit down and eat a whole box of the mini-donuts.
*sitting in backyard, compiling code on tablet*
In response to AlexandraErin
AlexandraErin wrote:
*sitting in backyard, compiling code on tablet*

I prefer not to have to fight off mosquitoes when I'm working
I don't bug them, they don't bug me.
they don't bug me