ID:2155055

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I've been working on reducing the RSC footprint for several games, and whilst crunching PNG files and offloading assets onto a CDN will often help, it'd be neat if we could introduce a slightly better format for storing image based assets.

FLIF is a novel lossless image format which outperforms PNG, lossless WebP, lossless BPG, lossless JPEG2000, and lossless JPEG XR in terms of compression ratio.

See: http://flif.info/example.html for more information.

I'd be willing to sponsor this feature for 512/513 if you're up for that.
Major problems I see with this:

1) FLIF is likely to be very slow, and encoding and decoding time for PNG have both been problematic already; this will also never work on the webclient, which will force the server to do a costly decode and re-encode into PNG.

2) I hate the GPL with the heat of a thousand suns, and the LPGL with at least a few hundred. Although LGPL is ostensibly okay to work into commercial software, I remain very very wary of it.
ya, honestly if you're looking to reduce file size of png, changing the compression level (maybe be a setting for performance tweaking by game) and implimenting ID:2127953 would be much better and cause much less hassle