ID:2157668

BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 49.0
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The world randomly loads extremely garbled. It's pretty hard to tell what's actually wrong though. On 510 most statpanels would be messed up and verbs would be missing, on 511 the game doesn't even start thanks to a billion runtimes about missing files.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Step 1. Load a really big DMB.
Step 2. Be annoyed when you have to restart 3 times in a row in order for it to load correctly.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
The entire goonstation codebase

Expected Results:
World loading correctly and the same every time.

Actual Results:
shits fucked 'yo

When does the problem NOT occur?
Doesn't seem to occur on the live server, running on Linux.

Workarounds:
Don't build a 500KLOC game on BYOND.
It's probably impossible to figure out where this is going wrong; for all I know it could even be (in part) a compilation issue. 500K turfs should still be plenty possible to manage, though; internally the server can (in theory) handle over 16.8 million, although the webclient is limited to no more than that.

There are a number of things I can think of that might be wrong here. The main ones:

1) Maybe the number of unique cells (unique appearance+area combo) is past the old 64K limit, and the new higher limit isn't working as expected.

2) The number of procs likely exceeds the old 64K limit, and maybe that isn't working as expected.

Some of the SS13 branches are known for pushing limits, tg in particular. The proc limit issue seems like a likely candidate here, since 511 introduces some new built-in strings and new procs. But frankly it could be anything.

It would help to see some of the runtime errors in question, I think, just to get a flavor for what's going on. You could also try sending me the current source, and I can try giving it a go in the debugger to see if anything bizarre pops up.
If it's any help, I'm having the same issue as Tobba (same codebase) and I've found that it only happens to me if I've started up a server once already in Dream Daemon. If I exit Dream Daemon and reopen it, the server will start up properly. I don't know if this works for Tobba, though.