ID:2159799

This week we had a new release with several important bug fixes, plus a few new features that were late in coming to the webclient. Gamepad support for Dream Seeker got a bit of an improvement as well, now allowing access to raw input.

Although I'm still looking at a couple of issues on the webclient, and I need to allow for games to create a local joystick setup that the game can access, at the moment I'm pushing full steam ahead on webclient gamepad support.

The gamepad.dms control is finally in testing, and by testing I mean the "Why you no work?!" stage. Oh, I've got it polling the gamepads and getting some results finally, but it seems reluctant to work with any macros, and map-to support still has to be added. Also, there's a delightful little bug in Chrome where, for my gamepad at least, it doesn't recognize the gamepad if it was already plugged in when the page was loaded. Nice going, guys!

There are also a few other bug reports I'd like to figure out before finalizing 511, one of them being that apparently preload_rsc with a URL is having issues for some games. I'm still waiting for more feedback on that one. It's also a good time to take stock of any small non-language-altering features I can throw in before moving to the stable version.

Around here it's looking like the last hoorah for the grill, so enjoy the semi-decent weather while you can. (Or for you southern hemisphere people, maybe it's about time to get yours ready.) I've been meaning to read John Dies at the End again this month, so maybe I'll get started on it this weekend. And if you haven't read it yet, go read it, because it's both hilarious and completely terrifying. Don't forget to get your costumes ready, and more importantly, your Halloween-themed BYOND games!
I just wondered, why not just transform DS into asm.js and in the future to WebAssembly? The benefits outweigh whatever you're dealing with now, right? And aiming at one client sure is better than dealing with two.

And how about a 1 year plan? Or you know, a rough wishlist for what you would like to make the software be?

Feature:

1) How about having the option of "Show tabs" be a colored of our choice and indentation level numbered rectangle, half the height of the font and with the size we specify in "tab size"?

2) Being able to force the editor to complain if the code is not formatted in a specific way would be nice.

Website Improvements:

-Take out "More" on the Header.

-Put the "Developer Guide" on "Getting Started" at "Developers".

-Put the "Developer Reference" on "Getting Started" at "Developers"

-Everything at "Getting Started" double the size, make it obvious.

-Put "Support" where "More" was.

-Put the "ToS" on "Support".

-Put "Contact Us" on "Support".

-Put "Membership" on the Header(!) on the right of "Forums". Before "Support".

-Put an "About Us" on the Header(!) on the right of "Forums". Before "Support". And tell us a bit about you, the people working there and the company, with that 1 year plan.

Now for Phase 2, which I will keep short.

-On the Main Page, there's currently 2 clickable columns, one called "Play" and the other called "Create", make a 3rd column called "Become A Member" and follow the same design as the other two.

There is more of course.

Good Day!
My eye is literally twitching.
Why is that?
Because smashing a ton of requests in one post is a terrible way to ask for anything, may as well have posted a gif of a dancing monkey.
I personally would love to know what features you plan on including next, maybe being able to call a proc on a list reference? -nudge nudge-
Well...

Lummox JR wrote:
It's also a good time to take stock of any small non-language-altering features I can throw in before moving to the stable version.

And...it was just 2 features and a serious suggestion on the website.

I don't see me being disrespectful by actually following his comment of wanting "non-language-altering features".

Did preload_rsc ever actually work? It has a pretty strong track record of just crashing everyone trying to connect, or working for a single game before catching fire.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
may as well have posted a gif of a dancing monkey.

In response to Clusterfack
Clusterfack wrote:
http://29.media.tumblr.com/ tumblr_l6zxjrY3wA1qa6wvao1_400.gif

OMG YES. Dude, I have to go play Megaman now. I need the nostalgia trip.
Sorry, I was a little bit flippant there. The thing that bugged me was most of those suggestions are website stuff, and while I'm planning to work on a little website foo soon, I don't plan on doing any major revamps--and some of those things are in fact major revamps. Those were the kinds of projects that always dragged on and on, and I'm not really keen on jumping into one.

But my eye was in fact literally twitching. It actually started earlier in the evening, but I figured it was a pretty succinct way pinning down my reaction to "change all kinds of things about the site".
The reason I said the things I said and the way I said them was so that you had to do less thinking about it. Simple and concrete advice.

And there is more, because, I saw the site trying my best to use "noobie eyes" and I have questions, questions lead to a challenge of getting answers which leads to a challenge of subscribing and asking and waiting for the answer which might en up being:

1)Horrible || 2)Incomplete || 3) Ignored

Or a combination of the three. There is 6 levels of concrete friction with a possible bonus of 3 levels, you got more Levels of friction than the amount of Robot Masters in Megaman games.

And I'll leave it at that.

Anyways, communication is a good thing, tho 80% was still ignored.

Lummox JR, KISS

Good day!

(And do take care of your health!!!)
I just wanted to report that a google search for Byond pop's up this review

So apparently google thinks Dreammaker is pretty good
Maybe if you ever accepted help for the website side of thiiiiings
Dear Santa Claus Lummox Jr,

I only want one thing for christmas this year.

And that's an updated landing page that doesn't make BYOND look like an outdated 90's arcade.

http://www.byond.com/
In response to Orange55
Orange55 wrote:
Dear Santa Claus Lummox Jr,

I only want one thing for christmas this year.

And that's an updated landing page that doesn't make BYOND look like an outdated 90's arcade.

http://www.byond.com/

If I had a solid idea for altering the landing page that I could implement it in a fairly short amount of time, I'd be all for it. But I don't, and I have zero interest in a brainstorming thread or session on the subject because those go very quickly into the weeds. Basically no one ever fully appreciates the difficulty of playing tug of war with the HTML and the templates, and the necessity of disrupting existing styles as little as possible.

People who do mockups like to do them in paint programs rather than working with actual HTML. But if I saw a mockup I liked, at the end of the day I'd still be the one trying to figure out how to recreate what's in a flat image via HTML and CSS--and within their limitations.
In response to Wirewraith
Wirewraith wrote:
Maybe if you ever accepted help for the website side of thiiiiings

My advice was Organizational and of the Presentation of Information. That's 100% HTML.
And, instead of coming up with ideas, how about giving reasons of why mine/ours aren't good?
That way the focus is on getting somewhere instead of turning everything away.

The landing page is fine, the membership page on the other hand...

"Get special "members-only" benefits on many popular games."
Like what?
Examples?
What if none do?
Should you enforce to give a benefit to members?

"More to come! We are constantly working on new features to improve the BYOND Membership experience."
This has been there for like 2-3 years.
It looks bad even if it was there just for a day.
It says nothing of value.

How about doing a bit of a promotion with the games that have been released outside of BYOND also? It makes it obvious that DM can be used to make games outside of here. And you get some money on that so it wouldn't hurt you to promote them.

Which leads to, how does your royalties work? How many ways can I monetize? I want to put rewarded video ads, would a BYOND membership take those ads away? It shouldn't. Which means, the "benefit" should specify.

[insert countless other advice]

All text, few HTML.

Good day!
Page: 1 2 3