ID:2163701

Code:

Problem description:

This is mostly me thinking ahead, and thinking about things that have not happened to me yet, but would become a problem if a game had a high enough player base. Considering that BYOND is a single thread process, I am willing to bet that on a 150mbps download/upload connection CPU will be the cause of lag before bandwidth.

The question here really is if anybody who ever had lag issues was able to deal with them, and have hundreds of players without bad lag. For those of you that have experienced this, what are your thoughts on it?
SS13 is mostly CPU-limited. 100 players is doable with a good server, but you'll begin to see slowdowns.
SS13 however doesn't use many mouse control intensive items, in my experience. As well as the fact it uses a lot of background cpu usage. An action game using mouse control very often may reach this limit much more quickly.

Though I would still say all things being equal you are far more likely to run into the cpu threshold particularly because there can be a lot of cpu traps in byond that people can fall for (not properly garbage collecting, looping through world, stringbuilding, appearance building, etc).