ID:2165155

Why is this week's development news early? Why indeed, but it is. There will be a couple of early ones in November too.

Yesterday I released version 511.1361, which brings the webclient completely up to date with all of 511's features, now that gamepads are supported. Oddly, I ran into all kinds of weird bugs in Chrome when testing with my gamepad--like the GamepadFace3 button being stuck on for no discernable reason, even when it worked fine in a test page--but oh well. I got map-to macros all setup for it, and everything should be working including the fairly new GamepadRaw macro. This means I can finally start buttoning up towards a stable build!

A couple of bigtime issues were resolved in the new release. One of them was that object tree generation in the compiler took forever when using icons larger than world.icon_size. The reason for this: Dream Maker's image handling is somewhat archaic, and when I implemented big-icon support I tried splitting the icons up into pieces rather than simply planning to use them whole. In hindsight my old design was a spectacularly terrible idea, but in my defense that was a nasty, nasty project. (Worth doing, but still nasty.) Anyway my new solution is only slightly less archaic, and works a whole lot better.

The other big issue--maybe more of a collection of issues--was that world.Export() had a number of old problems. The persist value was deactivated back in 487 due to other bugs, and not only did I forget about that (in spite of a great big comment in the code staring me right in the face!) but it never got documented. Plus, with or without it there were still all kinds of errors like double returns and whatnot. No more! I think I definitively solved those issues, and with it I was able to re-enable persistent sockets. Also I'm pretty sure the issues I fixed tie directly into why world.Export() was crashing in multithreaded mode.

Does this mean a return of limited multithreading? Good gads no. At least not yet, anyway. But it does resolve what I think was one of the big problems with it.

In the near term I have some web priorities to get to, so those are gonna take more attention over the next few days.

GiaD is ongoing right now; I forgot it was coming up, or I would have mentioned it last week. Oops! If it's not too late to get in on it, hey, what a great opportunity to hone your skills and creativity. But in the meantime you can always try out the competitors' games and see what's fun.

Do you have your Halloween candy yet? Are you, like me, planning not to give it out and eat it in the dark while pretending not to be home? Then you should take the opportunity to fire up some BYOND games and make it a gaming night, especially with all the new GiaD games that will be finished by then. And in the meantime, if you're not a Member yet, it's a good time for that too. I can say with complete confidence that if you support BYOND, you will not be tormented by angry ghosts when the witching hour comes.
Well done! 511.1361 though. :P
So, I did a rough test on object generation with one of my bigger past projects that exclusively used icons much bigger than world.icon_size.

Using an AMD FX-8350 Processor and a 7200 RPM HDD.

Before 1361 it took a solid 6 Minutes 26 Seconds to fully generate.

Now, with the release of 1361 it took only a mere 21 Seconds in comparison.

These results would be even better with a SSD and perhaps with an intel processor, although mine is pretty good regardless.
Yep 511.1361 fixed all our issues with compile times under our icon_size = 64 test branch! A great improvement for non 32x32 tile sizes.
Did you just say multithreading is no longer a thing in 511?
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
Did you just say multithreading is no longer a thing in 511?

Multithreading hasn't been a thing for many versions now. It never quite worked right and was removed for good in the 506 stable build.
i updated to the beta and tried putting an object that had a 201x460 png as the icon. It was invisible when i placed it down and my dream maker crashed when i compiled after placing it down. I reverted to the stable and it was back to normal.
On the download page you forgot to change the version number. The exe is the correct version but right next to the link it still shows [511.1361]
In response to MDC
MDC wrote:
On the download page you forgot to change the version number. The exe is the correct version but right next to the link it still shows [511.1361]

Thanks. Fixed.
In response to Zagros5000
Zagros5000 wrote:
i updated to the beta and tried putting an object that had a 201x460 png as the icon. It was invisible when i placed it down and my dream maker crashed when i compiled after placing it down. I reverted to the stable and it was back to normal.

Pass me a copy of the project and instructions to reproduce your crash, and I'll take a look. That deserves a bug report.
It actually doesn't crash anymore but the object doesnt show up in the map editor. when u run the game its there
-removed-
when u edit the icon file it starts showing up on the map editor?
Can we expect a new 511 build any time soon?
Mondays and Tuesdays are usually when builds arrive.
I know, but there wasn't anything pushed out yesterday.
Probably due to the late build last Thursday.
I've been working on web stuff quite a bit. I haven't let the software go, and I'm still checking on some bug reports for that as well, but the web stuff I'm working on needs attention in the short term.
Yeah. I just need the latest build to make sure that 511 works properly on our server so I can resume developing the Export stuff (and to make sure that crash I had with it doesn't crop up in 511)
Zagros, you should probably go ahead and make a bug report in Beta Bugs about the behavior you're seeing with the map. I haven't managed to reproduce a crash, but I can confirm that the object isn't drawing on the map in the editor like it should. I suspect it's because of the odd width, but I'm not sure. I'll see what I can find out.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Zagros, you should probably go ahead and make a bug report in Beta Bugs about the behavior you're seeing with the map. I haven't managed to reproduce a crash, but I can confirm that the object isn't drawing on the map in the editor like it should. I suspect it's because of the odd width, but I'm not sure. I'll see what I can find out.

Still happening here... bigger icons aren't showing up in the map editor when you place them on the map... Was there a bug report made yet?
Page: 1 2