ID:2165662

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 49.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I'm not sure when it started, but I've noticed periodic skipping/freezing of the entire screen in Dream Seeker. It appears to occur every x seconds, where x varies depending on the FPS setting. It's more frequent and noticeable at higher FPS. Some kind of server update process perhaps?

10 fps - not noticeable
20 fps - slightly noticeable, once every 8 sec or so
30 fps - noticeable, once every 5-6 sec
60 fps - noticeable, once every 3 sec

It occurs both within my own project and within a test project newly created. Neither have any looping procs or anything called beyond a verb to make the player walk north or south. I just place the mob and make it walk and watch the screen.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Start dream seeker
2) have character walk() and nothing else going on in the server
3) observe screen

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
N/A

Expected Results:
Smooth processing

Actual Results:
Periodic skipping.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Everytime
In other games?
Unknown
In other user accounts?
Unknown
On other computers?
Unknown, have no others to test

When does the problem NOT occur?
Always occurs

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Unsure, don't know when it started.

Workarounds:
Lower FPS to 10.
It's impossible to say what's going on without a lot more information, like a test project. There could be any number of reasons for seeing periodic frame skips, including other programs running on your computer.
There was a fix in 511 for some shutter issues see if the beta already fixed this.
I'm already running the beta version.

Lummox, I can send the test project I created. How would you like me to send it? What other information do you need?
You could upload it somewhere and give me the link via the pager.

But what do you mean you're running the beta version already? The bug report says 510. Does this happen in 510 also, or is it strictly in 511? And if it's only in 511 (in which case this needs to be moved to Beta Bugs), I need the specific build number.

Also, if you have a gamepad and plug it in, does the problem go away?
Sorry, I set the wrong number in the initial post. I didn't realize I had the beta installed. I'm currently running 511.1362. It does also occur on the current stable release, 510.1347 but it's not as...impactful? It's not as hard of a freeze and is only noticeable at 60fps with a step size of at least 4 or less.

I sent a pager message with a link to a test project.
I took a look and didn't really see anything significant. I saw some very minor frame jumps, but that could have easily been due to the 30 FPS frame rate, which doesn't divide evenly into 1000 and produces kind of a weird number. The same didn't happen at 25 FPS. And this is with no gamepad plugged in, so if the periodic search for a gamepad were to interfere at all, I would have expected it here.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I'll keep it noted to use frame rates that divide evenly into 1000 for the time being then. If I can get a more noticeable result at some point, I'll send that along.