ID:2168338

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
Honestly this is exteremly annoying but has anyone every ran into a problem in which a program works perfectly fine on computer and then you transfer it over to another device and you got errors. Cause currently I'm facing an issue and cant find any solution on the forums. I recently bought a new laptop and transferred over "pixel movement" by forum account. On my desktop the file worked perfectly but once I tried compiling it I get 16 errors which I have no idea how to fix since it all was working fine on my desktop.
keyboard.dm:19:error: focus: undefined var
movement.dm:249:error: client.focus: undefined var
movement.dm:250:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:251:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:252:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:253:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:286:error: client.focus: undefined var
movement.dm:286:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:286:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:295:error: client.focus: undefined var
movement.dm:295:error: client.keys: undefined var
movement.dm:295:error: client.keys: undefined var
debugging.dm:76:error: client.keys: undefined var
debugging.dm:77:error: client.keys: undefined var
But when I compile on my desktop 0 errors, and works perfectly. Anyone know a fix or am I doing something wrong when transferring over the file. I tried upgrading my OS, and byond multiple times on my laptop still nothing.
Best response
Forum_account's pixel movement library requires his keyboard handling library as well.

However, both of these libraries have been made obsolete by official BYOND features, and generally, Forum_account's stuff has the performance of an 80-year-old in a wheelchair trying to go uphill.
Would you happen to know any other pixel based library I can use other then this?
In response to End Horizon
There are currently no alternatives to Forum_account's Pixel Movement library aside from making it yourself.

His library lets you quickly make games that use pixel movement, without having to deal with the BYOND engine's hacked-on implementation directly when you inevitably make your own input handling and movement system.

There's nothing wrong with his library, performance-wise, unless you feel you can come up with something better before your patience runs out. It takes advantage of the BYOND engine's built-in pixel movement implementation, introduces the very common "game loop" and "update method" patterns to inexperienced programmers; and it contains a lot of useful functions that BYOND doesn't provide, such as his Keyboard library (which also includes his Text library), camera, pathfinding, and of course, the whole (completely optional) 3D movement thing.
Alright thank you both. One question that will derail this topic but I heard lots of feedback from others that say pixel movement isnt good for non single player games is that true will games with pixel movement lag as the player base increases?
In response to End Horizon
will games with pixel movement lag as the player base increases?
An increased number of players will always have a negative effect on server load. It doesn't matter if your game uses tile-based or pixel-based movement, if your game is full of active players and NPCs and tons of background loops all running simultaneously; it's going to lag if the server can't fulfill all of the operations it's been asked to do during a certain tick, in that tick.

So yeah, games with pixel movement will experience increased server CPU usage as server activity increases, and so will games with tile-based movement.

I wouldn't say it's bad for games to use pixel movement, though, or even that it's better-suited for singleplayer games (even though most of my games are singleplayer and use pixel movement if movement is a thing). It just depends on your game. IMO, if a game uses tile movement, but the game is actually better-suited for pixel movement (in terms of gameplay), e.g. a shooter or a racing game or a platformer etc., then you have more important things to consider before CPU usage is even relevant.
I had a game running with 70 players(was just a test run too so it wasn't even fully optimized) using pixel movement along with plenty of NPCs running using the default path finding while still moving with pixel movement and a bit of decision making still didnt see any lag
If you lag with pixel movement on its entirely your fault (who ever is coding not the player) can't make this post any longer on my phone for some reason
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Forum_account's pixel movement library requires his keyboard handling library as well.

However, both of these libraries have been made obsolete by official BYOND features, and generally, Forum_account's stuff has the performance of an 80-year-old in a wheelchair trying to go uphill.

Forum account's sidescroller library certainly has it's share of problems, but performance is not one given that you use it correctly.

@End Horizon Forum_Account's libraries has a bad rap in the community. Like Kaiochao said, sidescroller gets the job done quickly but like any project with loops running every middle second, things will eventually start to slow down if you're not doing things right.