ID:2173060

(See the best response by Flame Guardian.)
Okay, so I'm working on a game with a few people. I code, they map/icon, etc. Anyway, we dump our work onto a drop-box, so that the source is always updated. I personally work right from the dropbox, so I don't forget to update the source.

My problem is whenever I load the map, it comes up blank. When I run, the map is just blank, but when they run from their computer, the map loads perfectly fine. It's not giving me any errors, and it's not like a map won't load. It's just my map won't load at all, there's absolutely nothing on it. It's blank.

What is going on? What am I/they doing wrong?
Best response
First, I'd have them send you over their source that is working. I have 0 experience using Dropbox and other source merging files but I can see problems with the way you guys are running things.

Essentially, in order for something like this to work, you can't all be dropping the same source code in the same spot. You'll end up overwriting some of eachother's work that way.

Instead you can handle things in one of two ways: One, everyone has individual files or folders they work in. 0 overlap and those are the only things each individual uploads at a time to the central source.

What I personally would do instead and keep in mind this may not fit your project style. I would create a backup stable source every time files are merged to the main source; I'd also have submission folders on drop box and have one person in charge of handling files merged over to the main branch.
Thanks Flame! I fixed the issue, but yeah over-writing and such is a serious concern. I'll take your advice and create folders for each person.

Thanks again!