ID:2173575

The minute I read that the car pushing scene was supposed to make players spend 10 minutes looking at the scenery in order to force them to appreciate a world that you literally have no reason to like and no information about at that point in the game, I checked out.

They learned NOTHING from FFXIII's failure. FFXV will be the single largest flop of the entire franchise (excluding japan).

At this point, Squenix could literally sell No Man's Sky and call it Final Fantasy and Japan would make its release date a national holiday.
They could call it "No Man's Fantasy" (English translation: Hillary Clinton Naked)
To be fair, if I spent 10 years working on a game, I'd try to force people to appreciate it too.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
They could call it "No Man's Fantasy" (English translation: Hillary Clinton Naked)

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
The minute I read that the car pushing scene was supposed to make players spend 10 minutes looking at the scenery in order to force them to appreciate a world that you literally have no reason to like and no information about at that point in the game, I checked out.

They learned NOTHING from FFXIII's failure. FFXV will be the single largest flop of the entire franchise (excluding japan).

At this point, Squenix could literally sell No Man's Sky and call it Final Fantasy and Japan would make its release date a national holiday.

I liked ffxiii
In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

I liked ffxiii

...Why?
In response to Ter13

No particular reason.
Oh come on, you know why we liked FFXIII.

Bae af.

[edit] ninja'd
Alright, you've made your own beds. Now push a car through them for 10 minutes.
In response to Ter13
I was about to make a FFX joke when I just noticed, over a decade after playing the game for the first time, that Lulu has a bunch of belts covering her legs.

Probably because me and pretty much everyone else were paying absolutely no attention to the bottom half of her body.
After 13 (and because I don't really trust Hajime Tabata a whole lot) my hopes are about as low as possible. But I'll still try it... Damn you, SquareEnix for hooking me to get invested in your series since childhood.
The big difference for me with FF is how awkward combat can get.

I can take a break from playing Dragon Quest for a year, then one day pick up the latest Dragon Quest game and know exactly what to expect. If I take a break from playing FF for a year, when I pick up the latest FF game, 5 minutes into it I'll be staring at the screen like

The combat is going to be nothing like any of the previous titles. Sometimes it's a bit better than the previous title. Sometimes it's just a disaster. You never know what you're getting yourself into. It's kind of like going on a blind date. You might meet 1996 Alicia Machado, or you might meet 2016 Alicia Machado. And believe me, you don't want to meet 2016 Alicia Machado. Bigly.
Well that's really only been a problem since after 10. The battle system always changed up until then, but you still knew exactly how to play if you played most Final Fantasy titles before it -- then they started really experimenting. There were definitely big tweaks before then (introduction of ATB, job changing / using magicite or materia or equipment to learn abilities, junctioning in FF8, etc) but it was still always a relatively simple menu-based combat system.
Personally really liked XII. First one Hated VIII, X, and XIII. Loved I, IV, V, VI and VII.

Too bad XII launched on a dead console and marketing was botched.
I would say I enjoyed XII as much as I enjoyed XIII. Wasn't a giant fan of either battle system, so outside of game play we go to other categories.

Let's start with characters.

Who even is this guy?

Oh, right, I have no idea because he's a forgettable dweeblord. I don't like RPGs where I'm forced to play as a dweeblord. In terms of likability, he comes in 2nd place to the almighty alpha male Balthier.

Just look at him, lookin' all spiffy and whatnot with his over-exaggerated sideburns and gun over his shoulder. You think you're going to infringe on his 2nd amendment right to arm bears? I'D LIKE TO SEE YOU TRY. Also take note of his bunny rabbit humanoid wife thing in the back ready to cater to his every whim. Such is the hallmark of a highly masculine and dominant pack leader who doesn't take nothing from nobody. Balthier - 1, Whoever that other guy is - 0.

And then we have the story line that I also remember nothing about. I mean I recall a flying ship but then again every FF involves flying a ship ( except FFXV where you might end up having to push the ship instead ), so yeah. IDK. At least in FFXIII, they had enough common sense to make the dweeblord a supporting character instead of the main protagonist.

I also don't remember what his name is. I found the character by typing "ff13 annoying" into Google, and he's literally the first character that appears. Hmm, I wonder why.
I also don't remember what his name is. I found the character by typing "ff13 annoying" into Google, and he's literally the first character that appears. Hmm, I wonder why.

His name is hope and he's a whiny brat who gets cock blocked constantly ;).