ID:2174156

As promised, today's development news is an early edition.

This week I've been pulled in a few different directions, but one of the biggest areas of concern was shoring up some webclient bugs (or missing features so glaring they may as well have been bugs) that have been around for really far too long. Big-icon handling was semi broken due to the fact that BYOND uses a different coordinate system than the final display. The browser control was actually not working correctly for certain situations, and on top of that, winset and winget via JS were never implemented. So those issues have been addressed.

At some point I really need to do a revamp on how the style parameter of various controls is handled. Right now the webclient basically just looks at the default output's styles, and uses that to format all text. This is bad for things like map.style and grid.style, which as you can guess are not supported.

Frontend web work for the webclient is still in the works and nearing the point where I think it can be unveiled, but that'll probably be next week before the Thanskgiving break.

Meanwhile the software has not gone unnoticed. Right now I'm actually doing some work to look into DS's responsiveness in a certain prominent user's new game, and I'd like to get a handle on why Windows 10 users with newer Intel chips and NVidia cards are seeing problems unless they disable their Intel cards outright. Truthfully I have no idea why that's happening, since DS already puts AMD and NVidia cards first in the list of preferred display adapters, and puts Intel last. It's a real mystery.

Thinking back, I really miss the 4K competitions of old, and I'm wondering if something similar would be good to do again. Maybe the time has come for a 16K, to deal with the fact that BYOND now handles transform and appearance_flags and animate() and a bunch of other long keywords. The only problem is, I don't want to organize or judge such a thing.

Don't forget to become a BYOND Member if you haven't yet. Our Members and donors are truly important. This is a great time of year for gaming, so be sure to play something amazing--or better yet, make something amazing. Next week is Thanksgiving! This is a time to bask in your days off and avoid relatives, so let's see what you've got in your creative tank.