ID:2176461

I noticed that there was a wait time added to log onto games if you're not a Byond member, and I don't think it's the right direction to take things. It would be nice if you promoted new active Byond games on the front page instead of the popular and possibly change the system so it favors activity over the popularity algorithm. When I think popularity I think it means the activity of the game so I find it strange that they are different options. I made a complaint in the past about bad reputed games giving Byond a bad name and the popularity algorithm supporting the wrong developers, who aren't half as hard working as the ones who made it to greenlight and have custom content. I would really like to see a more user friendly interface on Byond and for the positive traits to be more prominent, rather than the dark side of its community. I know what goes on in the games can't be monitored, but isn't it possible to alter the algorithm to make a change? Also I don't personally mind the wait times and I think that would definitely convince people to buy membership.
The wait time was always there, it just shows you the timer now.
Good idea to add a timer but really I'd love to see some positive changes in the community and website.
The popularity algorithm already factors in activity to some extent. I agree that I'd like to showcase specific developers more, especially our greenlight heroes. The difficulty is in coming up with an algorithm to handle that, and managing it manually (or even adding in a factor to the algorithm that has to be managed manually) isn't really a reasonable option.

About the wait and the ads, I don't like that they're needed. If membership alone was enough to drive revenue, I'd be happy to scale back or even ditch the ads. I'm looking into some other options like prepay where game authors or hosts can contribute against ads.
Lummox I beg of you please fix the algorithm and which games are acceptable to be showcased because I really want to see byond thrive with developers taking interest without associating it with Dragon Universe and being a bad language. I think they only feel that way because of the websites layout and the way it presents itself with the anime fan games on the front page making money off scams with lawsuits and copyright drama flying around. I really like Byond and I want to see some of the classics and the great developers like Yutput, Godsring and Silk Games creations. I don't know how much you can manage this and getting directly involved with the content is impossible, but I'm sure you can do something with the algorithm and sorry I can't help.
There's no easy fix for the popularity algorithm. Every time we tinkered with it, it was a difficult and laborious process that often produced results little better than what came before.
There are immediate changes you can make of course but I'm sure there are complications with directly managing which content is visible unless it involves an algorithm.. else i'd just suggest a simple system like the activity one with removal of the popularity one and managing which is viewable and which isn't.
Removing the automation is definitely not what we want, we've been working towards becoming more hands-off in those things than vise versa.
I don't see any problem with the way it's currently set up.
What would be cool though is maybe another filter to add to the current popular/active/newest filters which would exclude any games that are multiplayer. not sure if it's possible to make that non abusable tho
Well I stand by this being a necessary change to nudge Byond in the right direction and that is all.
I personally feel like BYOND is currently passed a nudge in the right direction. Suggestions like this will just set us off track and waste time that could have been spent in a more productive manner.
In response to Flame Guardian
Flame Guardian wrote:
I personally feel like BYOND is currently passed a nudge in the right direction. Suggestions like this will just set us off track and waste time that could have been spent in a more productive manner.

its been over a decade of very slow progress...
You don't feel like Byonds diversity and atmosphere have gotten worse over the years? what's off track is the fact that many people quit and what's visible to new players leaves a bad impression. It would be nice if Byond could flourish with diversity in what's readily available to play. Perhaps adding featured games?
In response to Vincentsyth
Vincentsyth wrote:
Perhaps adding featured games?

No. We've been there, done that. A featured games section just doesn't work, and it requires someone to curate it.
ok i shall do it :Q_____________________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWvEcmhXEg
Vincentsyth wrote:
You don't feel like Byonds diversity and atmosphere have gotten worse over the years?

I was going to explain what happened on BYOND in a wall of text but I decided to just open Paint and make a graph.

In response to EmpirezTeam
That was brilliant.
I didn't see much of an increase in the release of Nestalgia as much as I saw old byond players on steam going "This still exists?"
In response to Vincentsyth
Vincentsyth wrote:
You don't feel like Byonds diversity and atmosphere have gotten worse over the years? what's off track is the fact that many people quit and what's visible to new players leaves a bad impression. It would be nice if Byond could flourish with diversity in what's readily available to play. Perhaps adding featured games?

The right direction to me is not to prioritize what was successful in the past. Exploring and implementing new features like game pad support, the web client and optimizing both clients are more logical to prioritize.

Doing so helps greenlit heroes thrive, which brings in revenue for BYOND. This also provides opportunity for what's already available via BYOND to improve as well.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Vincentsyth wrote:
You don't feel like Byonds diversity and atmosphere have gotten worse over the years?

Fantastic.
Page: 1 2