If you want the greenlit heroes to thrive then their games have to be showcased on Byond so they can develop further rather than everyone playing dragon universe and naruto rips. How do we get any new players if they see that garbage first thing and think "well this game is freaking WEIRD". The only reason they get a lot of attention in the first place is they are addictive pay2win garbage games that everyone is familiar with who has been on Byond.
maybe u should make more dragon ball z games then

problem solved my boi
Here's a funny story. I came to BYOND because of Dragon Ball Z (first game being Dragonball Zeta V46). However, I did play other games besides Dragon Ball Z related not too long after I joined. Back when I joined, there used to be a wide variety of interesting games.

Most of the games from the time I joined are gone now of course. Very few games survived from that period. Ah yes, got to love all those Dragonball Zeta rips of those days.

When I initially joined, I had no plans of creating anything in DM. That changed rather quickly, however. Already came up with two projects (one being from an earlier attempt from another project in Adventure Creation Kit by Chris Hopkins and the other being Text City Simulator). About Text City Simulator has quite some interesting history because I was hoping to make a special version. That didn't happen per se at the time due to lack of experience. So, I decided to port most of the original BASIC version (I also made) to DM. Besides learning from ZBT tutorials and few others, that's what got me started programming in DM.
BYOND will always be a cesspool of rips and fangames. Its target demographic practically assures this. BYOND will likely never be a professionally used tool because other IDEs are better and can actually do 2D and 3D and aren't horribly optimized and... better stop here before I get banned because I have the wrong thoughts.
I joined for Pokemon games after Pokemon Crater went down. Pokemon Twilight was my first BYONDdiction along with Seika(now Teridal). I made a few original pokemon games, eventually was given Pokemon Aurora, and since then I've been all about seeing how many times i can remake Feed before i die. (^8
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
(^8

This is incredibly unnerving.
In response to Bandock
Bandock wrote:
Here's a funny story. I came to BYOND because of Dragon Ball Z

the face you made when you saw "Bardock" was already taken so you had to go with "Bandock" which was way less cool and you had to fight the urge to lock yourself in a closet and drink yourself into a coma to cope with the harsh realities of life

In response to EmpirezTeam
Actually, the story behind my key is even funnier. I didn't come up with my key because of Bardock (as a matter of fact, I came up with that name months before I even watched DBZ). I originally came up with that key when I was playing Diablo (character name being Lord Bandock originally).

As for the origin of the name itself, I just made it up. :P
I came to BYOND because my buddy was like "hey you should make a Bleach game, all of these look exactly the same so I bet you could do it too."

So I stopped my Flash development, found a SoC source, and made BoD. Eventually I figured out that apparently people hated ripped games (because... duh) and spent months redoing BoD from the ground up. So nowadays it's completely original on the inside, but also completely identical to SoC on the outside. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for games I've played over the years... I actually really liked Finale (or Lizard Sphere X or whatever the hell it's called now). It was a fun game to no-life. I'm also really fond of Incursion and Decadence.
Yut Put wrote:
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
completely original on the inside, but also completely identical to SoC on the outside. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

same story for my second byond game back in 2008, it was a pokemon game made to play identical to pokemon rips because i figured that style of game was popular LOL

At least I wasn't the only one. rofl. On the plus side it ran better than SoC, but that's... really not hard to accomplish. SoC was a mess on the inside. If I'm not mistaken SoC itself was originally a very heavily modified rip of a Naruto game that was popular at the time.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Vincentsyth wrote:
You don't feel like Byonds diversity and atmosphere have gotten worse over the years?

I was going to explain what happened on BYOND in a wall of text but I decided to just open Paint and make a graph.

lets face it, the castle era was the best era... least amount of cancer and the playerbase was equally distributed between games. also it was the rise of the Icon games.

Bandock wrote:
Here's a funny story. I came to BYOND because of Dragon Ball Z (first game being Dragonball Zeta V46). However, I did play other games besides Dragon Ball Z related not too long after I joined. Back when I joined, there used to be a wide variety of interesting games.

Most of the games from the time I joined are gone now of course. Very few games survived from that period. Ah yes, got to love all those Dragonball Zeta rips of those days.

When I initially joined, I had no plans of creating anything in DM. That changed rather quickly, however. Already came up with two projects (one being from an earlier attempt from another project in Adventure Creation Kit by Chris Hopkins and the other being Text City Simulator). About Text City Simulator has quite some interesting history because I was hoping to make a special version. That didn't happen per se at the time due to lack of experience. So, I decided to port most of the original BASIC version (I also made) to DM. Besides learning from ZBT tutorials and few others, that's what got me started programming in DM.

Yea, I came to byond because an admin of a Yahoo DBZ roleplay group I was in made a DBZ game. (DBZ The New Age) and soon after I joined I had gotten heavily into the Icon games & Zombie games that were available at the time. I had even dabbled with early Space Station 13 & Deadly Waters.
Page: 1 2