ID:2178421

BYOND Version:511.1364
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 55.0.2883.59
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Basically, with client.fps, if there is a lot going on on the screen, or client.fps is just too high for that computer to handle, it doesn't gracefully skip frames for tile glide, but rather keeps trying to render them as fast as it can.

This is likely a very difficult problem to address. Map updates will of course come in as the server sends them, but the glide is always based on frames rather than exact times, and there's no mechanism for frame skips.
Yet another argument for replacing glide_size with glide_time

Could even make setting glide_time set glide_size to -1 and vice versa to make it auto convert from to the other. Then just remove glide_size it from the documentation.

In the meantime, it might make sense to just have the client convert glide_size to glide_time using the server fps, then just make it calculate a pixel offset as a function of time.
Yet another argument for replacing glide_size with glide_time

I basically only think of glide_size as a unit of time. I go out of my way to create defines that allow me to work with glide_size as a unit of time multiplied against a compile-time conversion to bring it into pixels. It should have always been a time-based delay. It just makes more sense because of the limitation of precision when working with partial pixels.