ID:2179736

(See the best response by Kaiochao.)

Ok im new to coding. So im trying to learn by using an old source and just doing my best not to get errors, but i have 3 major problems: 1. any time i run the game it freezes and it stays frozen for approximatly 2 hours and 21 minutes, 2. i tried running it through dream daemon three days ago.. its still frozen. 3. when i run it through dream maker tit takes up a large amount of cpu usage.. when i run it through dream daemon it takes up alot of memory and cpu usage. im not sure what the cause is if you can help please do.

please forgive my grammar and possible lack of the ability to spell.
Best response
Unless you're trying to learn how to fix broken source code, you probably shouldn't be trying to use it.
that is what im trying to do
Are you running any loops in your game?
Using a lot of spawn()?
Running anything when the world initializes?
What kind of game are you making(sidescroller, topdown, isometric, etc.)
Using any outside libraries/source codes that wasn't your own doing?
When did you project stop working?

We need more information or for you to provide us with code that is potentially causing your project to no longer work. Just saying it doesn't run doesn't really help us all that much.
Learning from old source is not usually a good way to learn. Most of the old games that released their source (or had it leaked) were not good ones, at least in the sense that they were not programmed well. They're typically better at teaching you what not to do, and then only after you've been driven mad trying to figure out why something doesn't work.

The high memory thing and the freezing are both indicators that whoever wrote that game probably did a particularly bad job. Some games legitimately use a large amount of memory on startup, but chances are there's nothing legit about what this one is doing. Usually the memory abuse comes from setting up a list on every turf or atom, like this:

turf
// this will create the list via a hidden proc, which is bad for startup times and memory
var/neighbors[]

For the freezing issue, I'd be willing to bet you can find that whoever wrote that code turned off world.loop_checks. Search all the files for loop_checks and you'll probably find it there. If that's the case, get rid of that line and let loop_checks stay on; it's important.
i couldn't find loopchecks anywhere in the code
bj/Decoration
icon='Decoration.dmi'
density=1
Shadow_Edges
icon='Karakura.dmi'
icon_state="ShadowEdges"
layer=9
mouse_opacity=0
density=0
Uraharas_Shop
icon='Uraharas.dmi'
icon_state="Sign1"
pixel_y=6
layer=8
Bush
icon='karakura.dmi'
icon_state="Bush"
pixel_y=4
Shadow
icon='Shadow.dmi'
mouse_opacity=0
density=0
layer=7
Railing
icon='SSTurfs.dmi'
icon_state="RedRailing"
density=0
layer=8
TableShadow
icon_state="TableShadow"
mouse_opacity=0
density=0
layer=2
pixel_y=8
<dm>
do you mean like this
it does use alot of spawn()
That code doesn't really show anything. Like Lummoxx said, and I wasn't clear on originally; Starting a game off of another source is a bad idea in general. Most sources out there, at least all that I have seen adopt bad programming practices. Like you suggested, this library uses a lot of spawn() and that practice can lead to seriously bad CPU optimization.

TLDR; Start from scratch, we'll help you out along the way.