Protip: pep8 does not apply to all of python.

I know, but it's widely adopted already as coding standard for all code and I'm not going against that.

I don't mean this offensively but SS13's codebase is kind of a trainwreck which I'm sure is where a lot of the SS13 community's gripes with the BYOND software comes from.

Oh it is, I agree. But personally I don't hate BYOND for that. Best thing BYOND could do to "improve" code quality would be either ECS or interfaces. The latter might realistically happen with BYOND, ECS wasn't a concept when BYOND started so I'm not holding it against it when I say that it's got bad design.

I can't really speak about other people, but I have my reasons to dislike BYOND and I'm not going to list them here.

A lot of the failed remakes of SS13 also probably failed because the devs underestimated the sheer amount of code that they had to fill in that DM otherwise took care of for them.

You have no idea. The only remake I've witnessed that actually seemed to realize (as in think about, not as in code) the requirements for SS13 was SS14 and we know what happened to that. You can't just write it purely in C++ or such because then you lose sane dynamic object and code loading to allow the "one client, all servers" deal of BYOND, which is the best thing about BYOND.

It's like people want to port a single codebase to another language, instead of porting SS13 itself to another language. Hell I wrote a giant post on the subreddit as to why Griefly, the current leader on being a remake, is a terrible goddamn idea that'll ruin the SS13 ecosystem if it succeeds.
Page: 1 2