ID:2185101

Essentially, I click on BYOND and it shows up at first, prompting some loading bars and then saying "Loading live games from BYOND hub..." along with the BYOND logo, and after a bit the window starts to fade away and then shuts down completely. Looking at the task manager, I can see that it moves to 'Background Processes' once it fades away entirely.

I'm running it on a terrible laptop with windows 10
Double-check that the directory you installed to doesn't contain any special characters (anything not alphanumeric).

Now do the same for your Windows username.

Basically, if any of the directories involved in BYOND have anything funky in their path it can cause issues.

It's also known to be a problem if your system locale is set to anything but English.
Not all locales are created equal there, though. Japanese is really the only one I know of that's guaranteed to cause trouble. For other locales, they seem fine as long as the user data path doesn't contain anything beyond the basic Windows-1252 character set. If it gets into Unicode, that's when it becomes flustered.

Sooner or later I'm gonna have to run some tests on this to figure out what the deal is, by actually creating a data dir with Unicode characters in the path.
You might need to restart after you install the program for it to work.