In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
You've been posting the exact same thing on every "Within BYOND" topic. You've had your moment of attention and Lummox said he'll look into it as it's not as easy as you may believe. Now move on.

Actually I don't recall saying I'd look into it. I don't really see the need to make pager news optional. These topics come up once every 2-3 weeks. The annoyance factor, if it can even be considered such, is negligible.

And I say that as a guy who's easily annoyed with notifications or non-opt-out behavior in other things. I don't need Facebook to give me a notification to ask if I know this random person that I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist. This on the other hand is a notification that comes in only twice a month, rarely more, and the fact that everyone is "subscribed" to pager news has been around forever.

Yes this is a bump up in frequency from the old once-or-twice-a-year, but so what? If this were happening every single day I could see a point in an opt-out. But it's not. Adding an opt-out ability for pager news would require modification to the software at least, possibly also the site. The time investment is not at all worth it. Honestly if the biggest issue is that every couple of weeks you get a ding because of the news, I'm obviously doing something right.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
yut got 2 games onto steam in a short amount of time and made thousands of dollars.

why aint that enough to "inspire" and "create competition"?

Yut is far from inspirational.

In response to Kozuma3
On a related note, why don't we just make the front page a blog and give Higoten the keys instead of having a forum post every couple weeks? It'd be a nice way to show off the community and the BYOND suite without much additional work.

Kozuma3 wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
yut got 2 games onto steam in a short amount of time and made thousands of dollars.

why aint that enough to "inspire" and "create competition"?

Yut is far from inspirational.

Yut Put's success with EPOCH was actually what motivated me to begin game dev with BYOND again.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
You've been posting the exact same thing on every "Within BYOND" topic. You've had your moment of attention and Lummox said he'll look into it as it's not as easy as you may believe. Now move on.

Actually I don't recall saying I'd look into it. I don't really see the need to make pager news optional. These topics come up once every 2-3 weeks. The annoyance factor, if it can even be considered such, is negligible.

And I say that as a guy who's easily annoyed with notifications or non-opt-out behavior in other things. I don't need Facebook to give me a notification to ask if I know this random person that I'm pretty sure doesn't even exist. This on the other hand is a notification that comes in only twice a month, rarely more, and the fact that everyone is "subscribed" to pager news has been around forever.

Yes this is a bump up in frequency from the old once-or-twice-a-year, but so what? If this were happening every single day I could see a point in an opt-out. But it's not. Adding an opt-out ability for pager news would require modification to the software at least, possibly also the site. The time investment is not at all worth it. Honestly if the biggest issue is that every couple of weeks you get a ding because of the news, I'm obviously doing something right.

Is there any way for me to play byond games without having the byond pager then? I only play one game on here and I dont care for the pager at all.

In response to Supernoodles13
The webclient would work, if the server is webclient-enabled, but you can also simply turn off notification popups on the pager and disable its sounds.
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Yut Put's success with EPOCH was actually what motivated me to begin game dev with BYOND again

we should just remove all the games off the front page and replace it with yut's bank account balance in bold red text and have it update in real time whenever someone buys a copy of epoch or nother

and then like underneath that we'd have a list of all the recently cancelled projects also in large bold red text, that way if you announce a game then renege on yo promises, you get put on blast immediately and you get roasted by everyone in the community in a shit post thread in off topic that fugsnarf inevitably locks at around 9 or 10 pages.

all in favor of this idea, give lummox ur energy so he can make this dream a reality

In response to Lummox JR
In response to Kidpaddle45
Kidpaddle45 wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
Solstice Entertainment wrote:
I think the BYOND Community should have a vote on Within BYOND #'s it would make the list much more hard to get on. Maybe 5 at the most. Competition is what we need to inspire the community to work harder.

Dude makes a good point.

I agree! The thing with Within BYOND is that it still doesn't feel very official. Game's being featured should be more on the front-page. THAT would really help and create competition!

Speaking from 5 years of experience writing BYOND columns, the problem tends to be that the community has difficulty distinguishing progress reports from featured games. While the latter might have standards, the former is subject to slow news periods and is more about displaying an active community.

In other words, these are NOT featured games. These are featured progress reports. This is featured content to improve the health of the community rather than the status of any individual game. Developers should take it as a sign that their hard work is being noticed, but it should not be a seal of approval for their final output. 80% of the projects mentioned will be vaporware.

BYOND does not have featured games. (As far as I know, I also worked on the last iteration of that.) Honestly, the effort spent developing for featured status is now probably better spent getting on Steam.
Supernoodles13 wrote:
Oh and good luck donating enough to cover everybody else.

its like 24 bucks for a year of membership lmao so hard

In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
Supernoodles13 wrote:

Take note of the term *everybody else*. Sure it's cheap for one person but do you have the money to waste proving a point?

I mean... if you have nothing better to spend it on then go ahead but you will be achieving nothing but making yourself look like a fool.

New games should be more visible on the site.

The frontpage is extremely plain, it would be great if it had some images of original games made within BYOND. For example Space Station 13, EPOCH, Eternia, Feed, etc. It currently displays games that only few people would play (they look too old, even phone games look more polished).
Of course I'm talking about this.

I know it's been said many times, but changing the site's layout would be great to attract people, specially if it makes the new & popular games more visible.

Furthermore, few original games are finished nowadays (BYOND's recently lost 2 good games: Severed World & Land of Fire), so those that are new & playable should be promoted.
In response to Eternal_Memories
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2012654

I tried super hard to get him to change it awhile back. It doesn't work. He's like a donkey, the more you tug on him to do something - the more he just sits there and grunts.
lol today has been hilarious.

first nadrew gets called a child rapist and threatened with a million dollar lawsuit and now lummox is called a grunting donkey

where do you guys come up with this stuff
In response to Solstice Entertainment
what a idiotic idea
In response to Solstice Entertainment
good job everyone and keep up with the good work. When making a game try to finish it and and not make people excited. I hope that pumps you up to finish your games!
In response to IchiroKeisuke
I'm happy to change it, but the issue as I said was that I really need a drop-in implementation, not a mock-up. I appreciated that you tried to help, but we never really got near a usable solution. I can't just change it without a plan.
In response to Lummox JR
We've all got our own opinions on what it should look like - but that didn't get us anywhere last time.

So I guess it really boils down to what you need to make this happen.

You've said that your willing to change it, but that you need a drop-in implementation, not a mock-up.

So what are your criteria for a usable solution?

What can "I" or "anyone else" do to help make this a reality. What is it that you need?

Because I can't help if we're not on the same page, and neither can anyone else.
Supernoodles13 wrote:
Mickemoose wrote:
Supernoodles13 wrote:

Take note of the term *everybody else*. Sure it's cheap for one person but do you have the money to waste proving a point?

I mean... if you have nothing better to spend it on then go ahead but you will be achieving nothing but making yourself look like a fool.

In response to Alienx26
Alienx26 wrote:
what a idiotic idea

What a foolish remark, that's all you had to say. When you are bringing up a subject or responding to one, please bring reasoning behind what you said or else you will once again for probably about 500th time on BYOND make a fool of yourself Alienx26. What you just proved was the stereotype that BYOND's community is toxic. Have a good day sir.
In response to Alienx26
Alienx26 wrote:
good job everyone and keep up with the good work. When making a game try to finish it and and not make people excited. I hope that pumps you up to finish your games!

If I planned on not finishing Sword & Soul Online, which I know you are referring to, I would have been told the BYOND Community that by now. Another thing, I feel like "programmers" who have nothing to show for themselves besides the copy and paste they usually tend to use from libs should not speak on matters such as the prolonging of a game release, as they have no idea what it's like to actually develop a game you want to make perfect.
Page: 1 2 3