ID:2187030

Fresh off a brush with death yesterday--45 minutes white-knuckling it through the worst band of lake effect snow I've ever encountered--I'm still here. Pro tip: always check the weather radar.

Version 511.1366 has been released today, with a couple of fixes. (A webclient fix was scheduled for this release, but it turns out the fix didn't "take"; it was being optimized out by the Dart2JS compiler, and even weirder the error in question shouldn't even be possible.) This is mostly a maintenance release, even though 511 hasn't become the new stable build yet, because those fixes were sitting there and they needed to get out. No sense waiting on them longer.

Last week I mentioned disruptions to my development process, and those are ongoing--but I'm hoping to be on my way to resolving them soon. This, and a couple of other things, has made me revise my goal of finalizing 511 before the new year. Besides that, it occurred to me that putting out a new stable build just before the break was phenomenally stupid. So 511-stable is not happening till January.

In tangentially related news, Yut Put's Nother has been released on Steam, his second game to hit the platform. Huge congratulations to Yut Put for his hard work paying off in another beautiful game.

The related-news part is that Steam controllers, being XInput-only, don't work at all with BYOND 511's gamepad support which currently only uses DirectInput. (In fairness, it was incredibly stupid of Valve not to support DirectInput.) However, my development transition should make XInput a crapton easier to handle in BYOND going forward, which means I'd like to prioritize implementing it--preferably before finalizing 511. I want to get moving on that right away, by which I mean first thing in the new year.

So where we stand right now, my big goal for the remainder of 2016 is getting the very first stages of that DLC support in. It's gonna be tight, but I'll see what I can do.

With Christmas sneaking up on us, it's time to get your holiday cheer on and make a list of favorite BYOND games to play. I miss Leftley this time of year, because his games were always my favorites. If you have a vacation coming up, why not fire up Laser Wars or Bombard for a friendly game? And while you're finishing your last-minute shopping, don't forget to give yourself--or someone else--the gift of BYOND Membership.
More game pad support and focusing on adding dlc support sound amazing Lummox. I know you get bombarded with "oh add this" and "change this" requests and so know the following is not that! Haha ... ..But would it even be possible to support 4 game pads in the future given the way you're currently handling game pads?

I'd love create a couch co op game but currently am limited to 1 game pad and a keyboard.
Patiently waiting for that DLC support which should be super helpful for other games in the future. Keep it up man!
Can I ask why byond is so hell bent on not allowing developers to stand alone?

I remember when you could create exe files through dream maker last time we could do that was 2011. Privileges has downgraded, I feel like standalone clients should be priced not make the owner of a game split profits with the engine owner.
Great news! I'm glad you are getting full controller support ready, as well as DLC! There are few things as awesome as playing a favorite game with a controller, not to mention a favorite game made on one's own! :D
Fresh off a brush with death yesterday--45 minutes white-knuckling it through the worst band of lake effect snow I've ever encountered--I'm still here. Pro tip: always check the weather radar.

I would just like to point out. That if you die, BYOND dies. There would be no one to take care of it.

Stay safe lummy, we need ya.