ID:2189111

I have a questionerino for all you gamerino developerinos: why do you make games? Like, what is your purpose for making them?

For example, the first reason why I decided to begin making games was because the person who introduced me to BYOND told me making games was too hard and I'd never be able to make a game. I don't like people telling me what I can't do so I started making games to prove him wrong, which eventually turned into a legitimate hobby, which then turned into me wanting to make money, which then turned into me not caring anymore as I acquired new interests.

So wat you makin gams for?
Started at 9 or 10 with 001 engine (http://store.steampowered.com/app/347400/) but a much much older version. Then moved to MGB (http://mygamebuilder.com/) then found BYOND.

Always wanted to build things at a young age I guess.
So wat you makin gams for?

It's fun. Seeing my ideas come "alive" is awesome.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
It's fun. Seeing my ideas come "alive" is awesome.

I think this was something I struggled with when I was making games. I only enjoyed the "seeing ideas come alive" part. The actual making of the game wasn't all that great. If there's one thing I've noticed about successful people, it's that they love the journey just as much as the destination. I despise programming - it's literally one of the most boring and frustrating things I've ever taught myself how to do and I'm an easily tilted person. The first night I attempted game development years ago in my Mom's basement, I threw a tantrum and cried all over what turned out to be an indentation error. All I needed was to press the tab button on my keyboard on one line of code. I spent hours trying to figure out what the hell an "indentation error" was and eventually ragequit and ran back upstairs in tears. I fixed it in like 10 seconds the next morning but yeah. One of the most traumatic moments of my adolescence, not as bad as when I got beat up by 4 people outside my middle school though.

I mean, you've seen my source codes before - atrocious would be putting it lightly. When I sold my source to Suicide Shifter, he said the programming was so awful, he was surprised it even compiled and didn't even know where to begin fixing it and said it would be easier to just make the game over from scratch. It was a clusterfuck of ungodly proportion.

By the time I found Construct 2 ( which circumvents programming ) most of my enthusiasm was gone and I had already moved onto other hobbies mostly.
It's a hobby and a creative outlet. I love coming up with ideas, prototyping them, optimizing, and then polishing the mechanics -- the whole process is just addictive. Getting lost in code for a couple hours a day and completely getting immersed and knowing a codebase well enough to easily jump between mechanics and figure out what needs to be changed/added to make [x] feature work, or trying to follow the flow of logic to figure out a pesky bug is just satisfying. Not to mention the feeling of watching something you make gradually come to life and, ultimately, having other people enjoy your project is rewarding.

Money is an afterthought, but I'd like to publish a couple games before I die. That's the extent of my aspirations with gamedev though. BYOND will likely by my weapon of choice for the foreseeable future, too.

I tried Stencyl once. Hated it.
The first night I attempted game development years ago in my Mom's basement, I threw a tantrum and cried all over what turned out to be an indentation error.

Holy ****. I'm not the only one this happened to.

GG

In response to IchiroKeisuke
IchiroKeisuke wrote:
The first night I attempted game development years ago in my Mom's basement, I threw a tantrum and cried all over what turned out to be an indentation error.

Holy ****. I'm not the only one this happened to.

GG
it's a rite of passage.

Didn't have the indentation error one but my issue was that I was running the game while compiling and thought i corrupted the source so i delete the project, you have NO fucking idea how many times I did that when I first begun xD
I seem to recall begging Lummox, Lexy, Gughunter, Leftley, and Skysaw for help with my "intendation" errors when I first started out.
I don't think I asked anyone how to fix it. The next morning I just looked at the source again and by some miracle I spotted the "show tabs" button and clicked it and noticed there was a ">>" missing and thought to myself "hmm, maybe this is it."

It's amazing how much your brain shuts off when you're mad. It's pretty annoying - frustration is supposed to help you produce a solution, but that only applies to situations where brute force can solve the problem, i.e. if you can't get a pickle jar open, you get frustrated, which leads to you exerting more force to get the jar open, which makes you more likely to open it. This however is completely counter-productive when doing tasks such as programming because frustration and anger worsen your cognitive abilities as opposed to boosting them making you less likely to find a solution. God damnit, brain.
Yut Put wrote:
$$$$$$

games combine art, animation, psychology, music, writing, etc all into one thing. i have a lot of interests and few other mediums deliver the same kind of diversity. they are also interactive, which other mediums dont have. especially pvp games, with the right mix of modular stuff you can make a game that has infinite depth which is so cool

This.

I came up playing games heavily. It wasn't until I started middle school that game creation became a thing for me. A friend of mine wanted to make the next popular Naruto/DBZ game, so I started to learn programming while he practiced pixel art. At that point it became clear creating through programming was what I was meant to do.
Yut Put wrote:
i was talking to gf the other day about how u shouldnt go into any creative field if you like the end result. what determines if u go into the field is if you love the process, since 99% of the job is the process and only 1% will involve the end result. personally i pace my development so i always have something "playable" to keep me motivated as i push along

That's amazing advice.
It's like when people watch an awesome guitar solo and they're like "WOW THAT'S SO COOL, I WISH I COULD DO THAT!", but what they don't see is how many years that guitarist had to sit in his bedroom plucking away, developing muscle memory, getting calluses on his fingers, practicing the most basic of notes, etc. I can't remember where but I recall reading ( or watching a video ) that most people reach a level of "mastery" after having practiced something for around 10 years. Not overnight. Not a few months. 10 YEARS.

This is why you have some college students who look at people like Zedd and are like "I wanna make music for a living!"

When what they're really saying is "I want millions of dollars and tons of fans." They're not saying "I want to spend hundreds of grueling hours developing my skills so that I can become a great musician who can compete with people like Zedd", which is exactly the mindset that's required to succeed because as we can see from this video, that's exactly what it takes to get to where he is. Not years of money, or fame, or partying, but rather years of sitting in one spot playing the same songs over and over, honing your abilities every single day.

If you're not prepared for that part of the process, you're going to have a hard time at whatever it is you're trying to do.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I can't remember where but I recall reading ( or watching a video ) that most people reach a level of "mastery" after having practiced something for around 10 years. Not overnight. Not a few months. 10 YEARS.

Less than 2 years :)

... but rather years of sitting in one spot making the same games over and over, honing your abilities every single day.

Still going strong.