ID:2193611

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 55.0.2883.87
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When assigning a large icon to your mob during runtime you become invisible to yourself, and certain clients. Some clients can see you just fine. If you close the client and re open then assign any large icon you can see the icon yourself without problem. It seems like the same goes for the clients who cannot see the effected client. Once you assign a large icon to yourself and close and reopen then you can see any large icon assigned to a mob.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Assign your mob a large icon during run time.

Expected Results: You can see the icon along with everyone else

Actual Results: You have to close and open client before you can see the icon yourself

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? It will happen once every reboot it seems and goes away once you see change your icon to a large icon then close and reopen client. after that assigning a large icon doesnt cause any problems
In other games? unsure
In other user accounts?yes but only to the effected
On other computers? yes but only to the effected

When does the problem NOT occur? If i close and reopen the client after assigning myself any large icon

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) It occured in the stable and latest beta build

Workarounds: close and open client after assigning any large icon

well it looks like some clients can see you and others cant, a lot can't actually. even if you can see yourself there are clients that cannot see you
Looks like some big objects are invisible to certain clients too now lol.... when i host it privately i can see them just fine

the above fix i mentioned makes them visible to a client though
Okay so if the world reboots some large objects appear invisible. but once you close and reopen your client when your in view of them they appear visible again. until the next world.reboot.
I suggest retesting in the most recent 511 build. If you see it there too, please put together a test case and send me the source, and I'll take a look after the holidays.
The game was compiled in the most recent 511 build however the effected are from both the stable and beta.
I'll try to whip up a demo but it seems to only happen when the game is up in multiplayer.

It's highly likely that it's a problem with world.reboot
I've noticed something similar many times with my client mob disappearing or changing icon_state. For me it occurs when player goes near an atom whose icon contains many large files (by many I mean around 80 "500x600" images). When it goes near it either disapears(most often) or it changes its icon state without being instructed to do so. I don't know if this is relevant but give it a try it might be linked somehow.
Any idea what would cause my issue? I can't really send you a demo since it only happens when i host it with multiple players online. Another thing i noticed is that using f1->client->reconnect to reconnect also seems to cause issues with icons disappearing for the player even though there icon should be there. (there icon variable isnt invisible and others can see the player) This doesnt happen if they close and reopen the client completely
You could still send a demo. It if's related to reboot or to hosting in Dream Daemon, or even if it can happen when two players are in the game, those are things I can work with. If it needs lots of players to appear then it's way more problematic.
Yea it looks like it needs a lot of players, or certain types of players. I just tried privately with two people and i could not reproduce it but when i went to go live in the main game icons and some overlays starting going invisible for some people after a reboot or reconnect.
Ugh..icons are randomly being swapped with others too now for some players but not others...
I've noticed the icon swap but I haven't hosted anything just on a local test it happened again to me right now I just moved using the keyboard and when my mob went close to a certain large obj game lagged for 4-5 seconds and my mob disappeared after that

EDIT:It only occurs when my mob is larger than icon_size (32x32)
I really need something to test. Without that I can only speculate.
this bug is unpredictable it usually happends when theres alot of players in one location, also it usually triggeres when the Player and the Server don't have same byond version. I also don't think it dissapears I think its a swapping or layering issue where it hides behind the turfs or something like that.
I could send you the src that bugs out every reboot but other than that i'm not sure how to isolate the issue - unless Victorqr can help by putting his issue into a demo. It does have something to do with reboot and reconnects though as that almost always seems to bug out the way icons appear to certain clients, when hosted with a decent amount of players.
Really have no idea why pressing x and re opening would fix while using f1-reconnect or world.reboot causes the issue though
I can send images or a video easily.

In this example using 510 version when the user goes near the gate obj, usr.mob appears like a road and gate has no graphics. If I keep only a few large images in the gate.dmi, gate appears normal and player does not change in graphics. (Note some times player disapears instead of changing to road, and if player is 36x36 it does not change at all the gate just does not appear)

Here is an image while the gate object is not in view
https://postimg.org/image/frpv3070n/

And now when player goes near
https://postimg.org/image/ja1uze7wn/

I don't know wether this is similar to your problem if not feel free to delete my posts :)
Btw in the beta version I am able to have 3-4 times more large images than in 510 version, before problem starts happening.
Yea i don't think it's related to my problem but nonetheless it seems like there are bugs with big icons still
Images and video can demonstrate the problem and to that extent they would help, but I need to catch this in the act in the debugger.
For big icon calculations are the actual frame sizes used or does it check to how big an icon actually is inside a frame?
I think i was having issues cause i had small objects in really large frames
-not related to my mob issues though
I don't know what you mean by "frame size".
Page: 1 2