This issue has been resolved.
Here's why:

turf
overlays = list(/obj{icon='herp.dmi';layer=MOB_LAYER+0.01;})//compiler error

#define LAYER_MOB 4
turf
overlays = list(/obj{icon='herp.dmi';layer=LAYER_MOB+0.01;})//no compiler error

+1
I've been thinking this for a long while now. My only concern is whether this could be an issue for savefiles, which save const vars a little differently.
if people are trying to save and load directly into global const vars, something has gone horribly wrong.

and its not like you couldn't make it read existing save files properly. worst case you have to add some snowflake.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
if people are trying to save and load directly into global const vars, something has gone horribly wrong.

What I mean is more like this: If you save a list that's defined as follows, it saves a var reference rather than a constant (or so I've been given to believe based on ExportText() results in Incursion's config saves):

list(MY_CONST = "true", MY_OTHER_CONST = "false")

So if that were to happen, then a savefile with that const would be suddenly unusable in a version compiled with no consts to work with. Since #define values are not kept with the code, nothing would handle that correctly. I suspect the goal of this saving was to allow the constant to be changed without causing problems, so if you changed the value of MY_CONST from "My const" to "My special const" the savefile would work just as well.

What I am wondering, however, is if I could add another keyword that would do the const var and the #define at the same time, effectively short-circuiting the problem. The only way for this to work is if the define is processed early, though.

Alternatively, perhaps a better way to handle Ter's suggestion is to simply fix the problem at hand, which is that expressions based on const vars aren't being viewed as consts themselves. I think that might be fixable.
Lummox JR resolved issue