ID:2195844

Resolved
Because newer FreeBSD versions are incompatible with the FreeBSD build, direct FreeBSD support has ended. Please see the BYOND forums for info on how to run the regular BYOND Linux build in FreeBSD.
BYOND Version:510
Operating System:FreeBSD
Web Browser:Firefox 50.0
Applies to:FreeBSD

This issue has been resolved.
So, the FreeBSD build is now incompatible with the supported FreeBSD versions (10.3, 11, -HEAD). It complains about missing glibc symbols (IIRC).

What I suspect happened is that you're using 9 or lower to compile these builds. As of FreeBSD 10.x, GCC has been replaced by Clang in the base system, making it no longer compatible out of the box.

Would you be willing to upgrade your build environment to 10.x or, preferably, 11, and try to compile with Clang? It should be a fairly straightforward upgrade path w/ freebsd-update, especially if you haven't really done much to the base system that you're building on. I suppose the big hope would be that Clang doesn't have many problems with it -- it can be slightly more pedantic than GCC in a lot of cases.
I'm using a VM for it, not a real machine. I don't know how feasible it is to make that change. The makefiles used are also the same for both Linux and FreeBSD, so making a change of that magnitude might not be so easy.
For the most part, it shouldn't be too bad -- it just kind of depends on how deeply ingrained 'gcc' is in your Makefile. If you could generalize it to invoke ${CC}, then that's generally 'the right thing' to do.

Alternatively, it might be worth collecting some statistics on how many others actually download the FreeBSD build and see if it's even worth continuing.

As releases/time go on, this'll diverge more and more. Just dropping the build and providing some basic instructions (read as: Link to this page of the FreeBSD handbook somewhere, mention that it's 32-bit and other than that, 'figure it out') wouldn't be a terrible alternative. I don't really expect full support because I'm probably not amongst a large demographic (it did come up recently, although), but the small pointer on the download page in lieu of a native build that has existed for quite a while shouldn't be the end of the world.

The Linuxolator is actually pretty good and seems to be working well with DD in particular for me.
I might drop it, then. Tom had his own doubts whether it was worth continuing.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
I might drop it, then. Tom had his own doubts whether it was worth continuing.

Well, for what it's worth, +1 to this idea. This does add obstacles to the local installation mode, but it seems a lot less likely that someone would have access to a FreeBSD server without root access (or ability to request changes) than, say, Linux.

No claim for support and some information on how to make it work is better than the current situation. If I create a "Installing Dream Daemon in FreeBSD" guide for the Linux Talk forum, would you be willing to sticky it?
In response to Audeuro
Audeuro wrote:
No claim for support and some information on how to make it work is better than the current situation. If I create a "Installing Dream Daemon in FreeBSD" guide for the Linux Talk forum, would you be willing to sticky it?

Absolutely.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Because newer FreeBSD versions are incompatible with the FreeBSD build, direct FreeBSD support has ended. Please see the BYOND forums for info on how to run the regular BYOND Linux build in FreeBSD.