ID:219980

Much thanks to Aaiko for the mockup.
Nice i like it! :P Looks way better than before.
Liked it better how it was.
That didn't take long.
I really like this.
Why not adding a post count and something that shows gender in people posts? :D Jk.
This looks a lot better than before.
Those don't really seem relevant to anything though. Who cares what gender a person?
Good job, Aaiko!
How difficult would it be to add some color swapped theme options for the forums, or the option to change some of the basic colors? That would make for a decent member perk.
I don't think it'd be too difficult although I'm not sure if anyone would pay for it. One related thing I'd like is to allow members to at least customize the colors of their home pages and hub pages.
It's looking much better now. Hopefully you continue to make improvements as you find time.

A few minor things, though.

These post boxes (forum_post_table) has a double border and doesn't have the shadow effect on it. I'd make it single border (I had a hard time making it single border myself due to the way the styles are setup) and add the shadow.

The buttons that replaced the [ ] links, give them more inside padding.

Also on the non-forum pages the box titles have an extra border which gives the top of boxes a double border. I'd change the border of box titles to border-bottom only.

Other than that, it's a nice start!
This is honestly a step backwards. There are clashing variations of grey all over the place (3 or 4 different greys on the forum front page). By variations of grey I'm not just talking about saturation, but different RGB ratios. The contrast between the white/grey between alternating posts is *way* too high. That shade needs to be lightened up quite a bit to make it just a touch darker than the white.

The hub pages also feature a wide variety of clashing greys and combined with the orange are really distracting and throw the focus to the wrong areas of the page. The solid orange headers in general just have a very unrefined look.

I hate criticizing after the fact - I didn't catch your discussion with Aaiko prior to this or I would have chimed in before. This just looks a lot less professional and much harder on the eyes. It really, really aged the look of the site.
I actually went with less inside padding because they're really too big otherwise. The padding is 3px which also matches the radius you used, and I like that.

For the double borders I'm not too worried about it (nor the little bit of shadow bleeding between tabs and pages). These are things that more trouble to fix in CSS than they're worth.
This is why this is so difficult-- color schemes are very subjective. I personally like this a lot, but then I loved the blue and orange scheme so many hated. I guess I just feel like more color adds more "fun" to what is supposed to be a fun site. The last scheme (and what we had for a year) was very safe and I think it was hard to hate but hard to love too.

Anyway, I'm up for further refinement but I don't think we're going to be able to make everyone happy.
In response to SilkWizard
SilkWizard wrote:
This is honestly a step backwards. There are clashing variations of grey all over the place (3 or 4 different greys on the forum front page). By variations of grey I'm not just talking about saturation, but different RGB ratios. The contrast between the white/grey between alternating posts is *way* too high. That shade needs to be lightened up quite a bit to make it just a touch darker than the white.

The hub pages also feature a wide variety of clashing greys and combined with the orange are really distracting and throw the focus to the wrong areas of the page. The solid orange headers in general just have a very unrefined look.

I hate criticizing after the fact - I didn't catch your discussion with Aaiko prior to this or I would have chimed in before. This just looks a lot less professional and much harder on the eyes. It really, really aged the look of the site.

My mockups aren't quite like what they ended up with, but they are similar. http://iccusion.com/byond/ and http://iccusion.com/byond/games/

I did, however, state that the colors might not be the right ones.
Probably not, but it couldn't hurt. Maybe just allow non-members to use a couple of the basic orange/blue themes, then give members more options/access to a simple style sheet to give it custom colors.

It obviously wouldn't be the main attraction of buying a membership, but it would be a nice perk, and could serve as a reason for someone who doesn't want to make games, but wants to support the site and needs to rationalize the purchase.

You could also try to tie it into any non-dev/donator membership you may want to set up. Personally, I would pay $10/year to have access to less bright themes and a fancy picture by my name, if only because it supports the site and makes reading the forums slightly more pleasant. I have to keep my gamma turned up ridiculously high to watch any kind of videos, so all the white and bright colors give me a headache after a while.
LightningNinja91 wrote:
Is it me or is admin history supposed to be visible?

Yes.
I like this layout and design much more than the old white on white design. Nice job.

Although I do have to agree that when there are many single lined posts in a row, the orange header does feel a tad bit overpowering!
Once we have read/unread highlighting within the post (as per the old forums), we can always cut down on the orange by using it for unread comments only.

The other anticipated complaint is that the white is too bright when contrasted with the other colors, so we could try toning that down.
Page: 1 2 3