ID:2201836

(See the best response by Zecronious.)
Ok I got 2 questions. #1 Why are there so many operators? and #2 What should I try to create when I finish reading it?(I want to self learn). Im on chapter 10 so far.
Pacman recreation.
In response to Dubious Game Studios
Can you give a layout on how I should start it?
In response to NarutoHeroMMaster
Try to create a simple world which you can talk, fight and do skills/powers first and see where it go from there.
Why are there so many operators?

Each operator corresponds to one or more common logical patterns to transform data from one state to another.

They exist because they are useful.
In response to NarutoHeroMMaster
Have you ever played Pacman? Literally re-create it!
NarutoHeroMMaster wrote:
...What should I try to create....?

Not another anime rip...

plz

In response to Greggreg31
Greggreg31 wrote:
NarutoHeroMMaster wrote:
...What should I try to create....?

Not another anime rip...

plz

You should make another anime rip simply because he said not to!
There's many different paths you can take after reading the guide, and it all depends on your experience, confidence, and how much free time you have to dedicate.

If you're looking to start out small just try to make a blank environment and work on different "systems" (ex: movement, combat, etc.) and polish them, and when you get the desired free-time and experience work your way with mini-games and go forward to making full games. Or you can jump straight from the guide into a full-fledged game. It just depends on what your goals are and how you can achieve them.

If you want suggestions, think of any sort of relevant celebration, holiday, cult following, etc. Like, Horror Games are becoming very popular lately as well as SmashBro's-clones. Try making a Monster-Mash Beat'Em'Up.
Best response
Just going to add that I never read the DM guide and instead learned from trial and error and from other people.

You don't have to read the DM guide word for word to be able to program in DM.
I never read all the DM guide and i learn quite some stuff from some rip game even the demos that the people created for other people. I would say try to ready some of those library.
Why are there so many operators?
Because infix notation (for binary operators) is often easier to comprehend than prefix notation (e.g. procs) for these particular operators. As a comparison:
proc
add(a, b) return a + b
subtract(a, b) return a - b
multiply(a, b) return a * b
divide(a, b) return a / b

// infix:
1 + 2 * 3 - 4 / 5

// vs. prefix:
subtract(add(1, multiply(2, 3)), divide(4, 5))

If you're accustomed to prefix notation, this these two expressions might actually be equally comprehensible, but at least operators are shorter to write (given that everyone learns them early).

Pacman recreation.
Can you give a layout on how I should start it?
Try to create a simple world which you can talk, fight and do skills/powers first and see where it go from there.
What kind of Pacman were you playing...?

[not reading the DM Guide]
Reading the DM Guide, like other resources, exposes you to the capabilities of the language beyond the syntax.

Since the Guide is outdated, it won't expose you to anything added to the language or engine since... version 2.0, or 3.0 if you consider the "Addendum for BYOND 3.0" page.

The DM Reference is always kept up-to-date, however. It includes entries describing whole features, such as pixel movement, isometric map formats, regular expressions, databases, garbage collection, etc., rather than just on the syntax and built-in types/procs/vars. It's the best resource for learning about all of the tools you are given, but of course it's not going to teach you how to build anything with those tools.

[what should I make?]
Ideally, you went into this with a game in mind already.

If so... try making it? Start with the easy parts.

In other engines, the things people seem to start off with are clones of games like Pong, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Arkanoid, Snake... and in this century, Flappy Bird, Angry Birds, or Snake.io (which is really just Snake). Most of these games are actually a pretty bad fit for BYOND, since BYOND is specialized for 2D tile-based "multi-user dungeons", with verbs and statpanels. (If you don't like that, there are many other free engines out there; many of which are more powerful, are backed by large development teams, don't come with advertisements, support better programming languages, ...)

The kinds of projects you should probably start with, if you need to be using BYOND, are things like:
* Chatroom: no graphics, just text. Barely object-oriented.
* Strict role-playing game: like a chatroom, but with graphics.
* Action RPG: like a strict role-playing game, but with verbs other than "say" and "emote", such as "attack". NPCs to fight.
* Turn-based RPG: like an action RPG, but actions can only be performed during your turn.
* Board game: like a turn-based RPG, but... uh...
TY everyone for all these suggestions. Ok im going to start off with a Action RPG then look at the reference for some idea's and concepts I can use to expand on this to make it something greater and hopefully an original game.