ID:2203875

It doesn't work like this. You don't come to someone, pitch a job, offer pay, then block them after lying about the changes they made to your code.

This is why I don't accept jobs from 90% of the people that come to me asking.

I made an exception. Yet again, like 9/10 of my experiences on this site, I'm left with a bigger pagerban list, and more bullshit to add to the list of reasons why I don't answer peoples' questions or respond to their PMs very often anymore.

Thanks for wasting an hour of my time I was spending on a contract I got off-site that's actually worth the time.
Oh... what a little shit bag.

Regardless of what the context is, "I'll pay you to fix it" and "We never negotiated pay" should never be phrases said by the same person in a conversation.
The part that chaps my ass is the accusation that all I did was include a library, or that I didn't fix what was stated to be the problem.

The original file that was sent to me:

http://files.byondhome.com/Ter13/jt_vectors.zip

The version I sent that I fixed. Although, the swarming behavior doesn't operate correctly because his math was wrong in the first place:

http://files.byondhome.com/Ter13/jt_vectors_src.zip

The original not only included the library, but the original file he sent was NAMED after the library.

I not only, in the span of a half hour, learned the basis of what he was trying to do (no thanks to his cryptic explanations), learned how the library he was using functions (which was the main problem, he was using it wrong), and fixed a number of syntax errors that were leading to improper behavior in the first place.

"Just included a library"... Yeah. GFYS.
Ever since I started working in programming professionally, the only way I'll do freelance work is if they pay me upfront a deposit sum.

These kids don't like to respect the fact that we know what we're doing and we probably know better than them. I'm a professional software dev, my work speaks for itself so if someone doesn't "trust" me enough to pay me first, then so be it, it's no skin off my nose.

That's just the way I look at it. Someone coming to me to get something done for them, they should have an idea of what I'm worth before they give the go ahead.
The worst part was I wasn't gonna charge him for it. It was so fast and easy to fix that I didn't want to bother with paypal.

What bothered me was him telling me to stop working when I had already finished without actually apologizing for being a flake.

To top it off, instead of apologizing like a normal person, dude threw inaccurate insults/provocations and made it sound like I was the one being a dick about it.

Yeah. 0/10. Don't work with the guy. Last I'm gonna say. Dude's just gonna waste your time and then act like YOU are in the wrong.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ search?q=cache:www.byond.com/forum/?post=2180168

And no, CloudMagic, I'm not gonna delete this even if you pay me for the job. I won't accept payment anyway. You managed to hit my principle button. It would be unethical for me to post this and then accept anything from you. For someone that expects people to pay him for their wasted time to turn around and do this is hilariously hypocritical.
That's really shitty. I like the idea of half payment up front and then the other half afterwards. If the person you're working with has a reputation and is well known, I'll send full payment up front.

I do not like most of the BYOND Community. It's full of young, immature, unethical dirt-bags who think they're hot shit because they managed to snag an RP girlfriend they can cyber with on some anime game.
Yut Put wrote:
Same guy who demanded a refund for epic:legend and threatened he'd take legal action against me lol

Jokes on him, you already spent the money on more hookers and blow.
"I will pay you to fix a problem", "Problems solved? We never negotiated pay"

Buddy makes deals even better then the US president.
That's why you only take jobs from byond members. They are more trustworthy because you know they have the money and are attached to byond enough to pay.
In response to Dragonpearl123
Dragonpearl123 wrote:
That's why you only take jobs from byond members. They are more trustworthy because you know they have the money and are attached to byond enough to pay.

You might want to have more criteria than that.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
You might want to have more criteria than that.

My membership was sponsored by Teka. I'm still broke. =P
I've never paid for a membership. (Although I'm probably one of BYOND's only consistently paid DM developers, so the point is moot.)

And it's not even the only key I have with lifetime, muwhahaha.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
And it's not even the only key I have with lifetime, muwhahaha.

After looking at the conversation, it looks like Ter simply jumped the gun.

No payment was agreed on, only suggested in case the problem was determined to be difficult enough.

Ter asked for the source in order to determine how difficult it would be to fix.

Instead of replying to CM with something like "this is easy, I'll do it" or "this is hard, let's talk money", he just went and fixed it.

In the meantime, CM was continuing his own attempts to fix it. You can't really blame him for that.

The conflict arises when Ter comes back having spent time fixing the problem. As far as CM knows, Ter was just checking to see how hard it would be to fix, which Ter offered to do on his own time.

CM could have told Ter immediately when CM fixed it without Ter's help, but he didn't. It would have saved Ter's time spent on evaluating the difficulty of the issue, but you can't expect it to save Ter's time spent on fixing the problem (because Ter wasn't actually supposed to be fixing it yet).

I don't think Ter should have gotten upset about this issue. It's on him for doing more work than he should have.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
I don't think Ter should have gotten upset about this issue. It's on him for doing more work than he should have.

I read the thread as well, but I'd wager Ter wasn't upset due to not being paid, especially when there wasn't an agreement of payment. In fact, he often does a lot of work for free throughout threads -- mostly without anyone asking him to or asking for payment. I'd imagine that he was annoyed that his time was wasted, but not upset enough by just that to make a post like this.

I think the following is what set him off, and rightfully so:
"The part that chaps my ass is the accusation that all I did was include a library, or that I didn't fix what was stated to be the problem." [link]

Also, to further support my theory:
"The worst part was I wasn't gonna charge him for it. It was so fast and easy to fix that I didn't want to bother with paypal." [link]
tf, how I get that lifetime membership
In response to Kaiochao
I do not agree with your breakdown.

More often than not, when you are dealing with professionals, even a simple look-over can cost money. Time is money.

You do not go to someone you know is a professional, offer payment, and send the problem code to them unless you want their help.

We can clearly see the subject say "wait trying 1 last thingy" before immediately sending the problem code over.

Why even send the code and allow Ter13 to spend time diagnosing a problem that you seem to have a head on? Also, as you said, never let on that he may have fixed it even after sending the code.

Simply, shady behavior was exhibited and as a result, someone's time was wasted. If this were not the case, money would not have been offered, nor code sent over, and the subject would have apologized instead of flipping the script.
It's a good thing Ter13 isn't a Meseeks or this could've gotten muuuch worse.
Page: 1 2