ID:2205712

Few know about the existence of four very interesting functions: '_dms_new_kernel', '_dms_parse', '_dms_export_text', and '_dms_prepare'

The latter three apparently took in two arguments while the first did not take in any. For years, I've been trying to figure out what they functions were used for. I also was doing research on these functions because I was trying to figure out some unknown DM interfaces.

After trying to get those functions to work (with poor result, often with crashing on Dream Daemon and Dream Seeker not closing properly) and digging around the 'byondcore.dll' a bit to figure out any clues, I can conclude that there was supposed to be a working /DMS object for dynamically loading and parsing DMS script files during runtime. I could be wrong, but just had a hunch after trying to figure out a few mysterious bits of the _dm_interface that were still undocumented.

That also leads me to believe the /DMS interface was never finished and got scrapped half way. I know staff who used to have this knowledge are probably gone (I know Air Mapster/Mike H confirmed how the unfinished 'eval' worked) now.

I bet there were logical reasons why it was scrapped halfway. Feel free to respond. That includes current BYOND Staff and any poster.
Nice work!
In response to A.T.H.K
Thanks. :D

Yeah, I remember finding out about these functions while digging through 'byondcore.dll' years ago. However, I was never able to get them to work. Doing some recent DMB file research actually helped me realize there might've been a special interface for dynamic DMS Script objects.

Even found a few clues of it in that same file judging by some of the C++ objects/functions stored in there.