ID:2210127

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
The only time this is really necessary is for an asynchronous proc that needs to do a callback for when it's done.
Please dont force people to add curly brackets for this
The only time this is really necessary is for an asynchronous proc that needs to do a callback for when it's done.

Not really, this allows programmers to create things that have similar syntax to byond's internal functions.

Like if i wanted to make a new version of foreach that worked with our own special data structures I could do that if i had some way for a proc to take a proc as a arg.

You don't have to make a new proc for each if or while or for or spawn but you do for anything you could want to do in softcode? It doesn't have to be that way.
callback hell, we node.js now?
Most of the benefit from inline functions that I have seen in other languages only appears when you support accessing values from the outer function, which would be far more complex to implement.
        #define doSomethingElse(a_,b_,c_) \
        {\
                var/a = a_; var/b = b_; var/c = c_; \
                world << "I'm [a] [b] [c]."\
        }

doSomethingElse("doing","something","else")

works already, although semicolons and braces are mandatory as the whole macro body gets packed onto one line.
Ah. Missed the error. I guess DM can't open new blocks arbitrarily, so instead it would need the typical do-while(0):
        #define doSomethingElse(a_,b_,c_) \
        do {\
                var/a = a_; var/b = b_; var/c = c_; \
                world << "I'm [a] [b] [c].";\
        } while(0)
Discussions like this remind me why I love TCL as a language.

In TCL, there is no special snowflake syntax for internal anything, if you want to make a proc that can take args the exact same way an if or while or for does, you can do that, because if/while/etc follows the exact same syntax rules as everything else.