ID:2210180

(See the best response by FKI.)
so i downloaded this shadow generator by Kidpaddle45 http://www.byond.com/developer/Kidpaddle45/ShadowGenerator

and it works nice, everything is awesome and smooth, but whenever i use this to host it on dream daemon , after that u can see that the player shadows disappears somehow, and u feel that the game isn't that smooth like before, when u didn't host the game yet, why is that?
Comment from the hub courtesy of Kitsueki:
First off, nice library, excellent way to go about making shadows, and from what I can tell, its a good implementation. There are a few things I changed with how I'm using it: I set the appearance, color, and alpha vars of the shadow in it's New() proc, passed the atom through to it. Also, instead of having 3 variants of shadow I'm going to be linking it to the day cycle of my game to update the shadow every in game hour, so I'll be doing some math based on that to calculate the position of the shadow.

Second, for those of you trying to use this, if you want to call it in atom/movable/New or obj/New.. do a sanity check to make sure you're not also calling it for /shadow types, as they inherit obj's (and by extension /atom/movable's) behavior. It was infinitely generating shadows for shadows and it lagged hardcore for me, I was thinking I wouldnt be able to use this but thankfully my debugging skills showed me the problem.

tl;dr make sure you don't generate shadows for shadows
what about the player shadow
In response to Yesyesitsme
Best response
Yesyesitsme wrote:
what about the player shadow

Quick investigation revealed that shadows are initiated/created when the world is started. This means that if you are not online when this happens, you won't receive a shadow. No idea why anyone would want this, but I'll leave the solution up to you.