ID:2211641

Resolved
Output controls could disappear when cleared under certain conditions.
BYOND Version:BETA 511.1373
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 56.0.2924.87
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When you use the usr << output(null), the output disappears until text is printed to it while it isn't an active window.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
(Download the example here: https://drive.google.com/ open?id=0B_tggsDW3UCnbkpQVkZ1QVFsZnM
1. Open the .dmb file.
2. Have Output 1 the selected tab and then chat to first chat and enter text.
3. Select Output 2 Tab.
4. Click Clear First Chat.
5. Return to the Output 1 Tab
6. NOTICE: The output has disappeared.
7. Chat to First Chat again
8. Nothing Happens...
9. Go back to Output 2 and Chat to First Again
10. Go back to Output 1 and then the output has finally reappeared.

Deviant Coder wrote:
Actually, the steps you have stated will not reproduce the bug. To actually see this error, you have to do usr << output(null,"main_chat.output") after that output is already blank (basically more than once) then switch back and forth between the outputs.

This is an error that only appears in the beta version, it does not occur in the stable version

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
usr << output(null,"main_chat.output")

Expected Results:
Clears an output without hiding it.

Actual Results:
Clears the output but it doesn't update when active. If you switch tabs with in the demo after clearing the output then switch back, the output disappears.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time the null output command is called and the window is not shown in view.
In other games?
I beleive someone made a post about this earlier today but there was no details shown: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2211145#comment22081303.
(Again, I am unsure if this is the same problem).
In other user accounts? Yes. It occurs on Other accounts
On other computers? The other account that was tested on (My testing partner) also identified having this problem.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Did not occur before the BETA builds of BYOND.

Workarounds:
None known as of now.
</<></<>
hmmmmm sorry, will fix now.

EDIT: and done.
Please edit your report to show the version number this actually happens in. Use the full build number, not just 511.
Good. Please edit your report to show the version number this actually happens in. Use the full build number, not just 511.
Done so.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Good. Please edit your somebody else's report to show the version number this actually happens in.

;)
Oops. The accounts looked alike to me.
Yeah, it get's confusing sometimes. Sorry about that.
+1
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Output controls could disappear when cleared under certain conditions.