ID:2212848

Any advice to help me get started on Byond? my friends just told me that its a good "platform"
"Good platform"? HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh you tell good joke comrade.
Thats really what they said. i didnt know that they were joking.
They aren't joking it's a good software for making decent online games
If you find yourself on the forums much, best to go ahead and just ignore Lugia.

All he does anymore is troll newbies into not using BYOND because he's too inept to do anything himself. Lol. Rather than actually proving that he knows what he's talking about by actually writing anything, he just sits on forums and badmouths a platform that he wasn't smart enough to figure out. ;)

So don't mind him and welcome!
In response to Kats
Really not sure why they lifted his shadowban.
I think he's a ton of laughs, honestly. I like having him around, but he is kind of toxic to new users, so we just have to be on patrol to warn them about him.

Honestly his asinine comments on every thread make my day. Lol.

He's like the village idiot that nobody likes but we'd honestly hate to see him go.
In response to Kats
I already smoke cigarettes. I don't need to deal with cancer when I'm online too.
I prefer Baird's antics over Lugia. Sometimes there's method in Lugia's madness but with Baird you get raw unadulterated autism each and every time. Like that other thread where he was hopping onto his alternate accounts to agree with himself. That thread had me in tears.
I work in oncology electronics, so I link Lugia's comment history to everyone I meet. That's just good business.
But... what if... Lugia... is just... another one of...

Baird's accounts?...

Wow, we really are a toxic community. Lol. Poor guy just comes on to ask if this is a good platform to learn how to make games and his thread turns into a raw-dog flame-fest.
To answer the OP. Don't think of BYOND as a platform, but a self-contained toolset.

Basically, ignore the community except Developer Help and Tutorials and Snippets, and don't even remotely try to mimic what other games on BYOND do.

The software is decent.

Are there better tools out there? Absolutely.

Can you make a fun multiplayer game with minimal knowledge in BYOND? Absolutely.

Just don't go into it thinking you are going to make the next MMORPG with it or make a ton of money doing it.

Your goal would be basically just getting a hang of simple computer-sciency concepts and learning some basics about game design and prototyping before you commit to the engine.

BYOND's a good place to do that provided you learn that almost none of the players or developers here should be listened to with regard to just about any subject --especially making games.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
BYOND's a good place to do that provided you learn that almost none of the players or developers here should be listened to with regard to just about any subject --especially making games.

I'd say with the exception of YutPut and a handful of other veteran devs.

That is to say, make sure the people you're listening to aren't making games that look like "BYOND games". Yut, Kumorii and a handful of others really have a grasp on what they're doing. (Or at least they put on a good enough facade to make it seem like it.)

Flick is our resident BYONDad. Most people generally find his elder wisdom to be pretty helpful.

Ter13's a good guy to bounce ideas off of. Like me, he doesn't put out a whole lot of content code-wise, but he's extremely helpful and knows a lot about really low-level programming and computer engineering concepts. He likes to play the Devil's advocate in a lot of conversations, which is really good to get you thinking about something from multiple angles.

I myself an more of a lurker, just throwing my two-cents into random conversations, but I have a firm grasp of software development and the BYOND engine. (I mean, I made that one semi-usable particle engine one time so I guess I qualify) I'm a non-serious person, but I don't mind answering questions you may have.

Save for a few people, we have a nice community. Like Ter13 said, though. Just don't trust most of them to have any clue what they're doing.