Eternia: Battlegrounds

by Writing A New One
ID:2215216

Most of the details on this update have been gone over in my previous developer logs (here, and here), and I'm pretty exhausted from my laptop spending the day thinking it had no RAM installed and the randomly deciding it did after hours of messing with it, which ate up the time I had planned to spend finishing up this update, causing me to double-time it to get it in by the end of the weekend. (I want to spend my Sunday relaxing) Never fear, even though my laptop is iffy at best, the work is secure and safe online in a source repository that Chance has full access to. Anywhoooo, this post will be shorter than the others.

The quest rework is now live and ready for testing, the numbers aren't set in stone (that's why this is beta testing) and there will be many, many more quests added. The first update comes with 9 new NPCs around the world with a total of 25 quests between them with various requirements and rewards. The main purpose of this ground-up rework was to make adding new quests fairly trivial as well, so expect them to pop-up all the time without warning. Quest NPCs are marked by a yellow star above their heads (I'll probably do something more visible, art's not much my thing), clicking them will bring up their quest window.

Clicking a quest will bring up more information about that quest.

Clicking the little checkmark doodad (again, not an artist) will accept the quest, or turn it in, if you already have it and the requirements are met.

To bring up your quest book, look to the row of buttons above your mana bar.

Click the one on the far left, the quest list is almost identical to the NPC quest dialog window, so the same rules apply, click a quest to see your current progress towards finishing it and various details about the quest.

Checking the 'track progress' button will cause notifications when progress is made towards the kill count to be shown or hidden. This will eventually move to an on-screen display.

And yes, do I plan to look into nicer fonts for these windows, but I don't want to sink a ton of time into font-hunting right now. Suggestions are welcome :)

An important note, this is testing, so if the rewards for quests change after you've completed the quest, you will NOT be compensated for the difference. There's no reliable way to track this information. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Enjoy.
Those text colours.. Yuck.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Those text colours.. Yuck.

Yeah, I'll definitely be experimenting with colors on this. I simply went with basic colors so I didn't spend too much dev time on fiddling with color values. I'm not a fan of the red/green but I do think the cyan plays nice with the background colors, maybe it could be toned back a touch.

Proper UI elements might help, but apart from that it's all very good progress.

Nice job!
IMO, calling this "battlegrounds" makes the game seem like an arena type game. After reading these update logs and logging in for a bit this is a bit misleading considering the game is actually shaping up into a nice mmorpg feeling type of game. Though in the end i doubt anyone who's going to stick around playing actually cares about the name