ID:2217464

Ever have one of those mornings when you're awakened way too early and can't fall asleep again, so you end up facing the day on 4 hours of sleep? Ever have two of those in a row?

To make a long story short, or rather to omit it entirely, I was leaning towards putting 511.1375 out today, but my decrepit brain was not having it. We're gonna shoot for Monday on that instead.

Last night I added a new flag PIXEL_SCALE, which a lot of developers have been asking for for quite a while now. It will use point sampling for transformed icons, to preserve a pixelated look. The flag applies individually to each atom/overlay/image and is inherited, so you can mix and match it with the default linear sampling. And no waiting for 512! I've now reached the point where any new flags will have to wait for 512, though, and I plan to add some support for them even if 512 doesn't end up getting new flags at all.

A couple of other bug fixes are waiting in the wings for build 1375 as well, including a nasty memory leak and a problem where json_encode() sometimes didn't produce valid JSON.

Another change coming in the next release is to the way gamepads are recognized. The setup info will now be able to include vendor IDs to tell them apart. This is important because the DualShock PS4 controller, for instance, identifies itself as "Wireless Controller". If you think that's so generic it's stupid, you're right, and Ter13 has pointed out several other controllers that do the same exact stupid thing. To be fair to Sony it isn't their first bad decision and can't hold a candle to their worst, but now BYOND's gamepad setup is more stupid-decision-tolerant.

The JSON thing got me thinking, so I spent a little time poking around the code to see what options I might have for giving the pager better Unicode support. Doing so for the whole engine is still way too big a project, but the pager is kind of a special animal. No promises here, but I think it'd be nice to have better support for non-English characters and emoji.

The minor site changes I've been planning are still in the offing and high on my list. This week turned out not to be such a good one to spin up on them, but they're coming.

Thanks to everyone who became a Member or donated so far this month. Keep being awesome, and I'll keep working on new stuff.
Long live BYOND
No I am died
The message for today is don't chew Gum and talk it's rude
wheres my penta
Bush the game down again please fix it
ban Argon999 1/10