ID:2221278

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Daemon

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
In olden times I could read who the host has hostbanned in my game and shut them down if they have me banned.

Please make it so there is a way to read the DreamDaemon/whatever hostban file! I don't want people hosting my game if they are going to have me, the owner, banned from it.

There is no good reason not to let it be readable. If I can't play, they can't host.
You can read it using world.GetConfig, but only if its a game restricted ban, pager bans and global DD bans have never been readable.

How were you reading it before?
The real question: What are you doing to make people want to ban you in the first place?
If this is the game I think it is, that would most likely be the backdoors he puts in the game.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not Feasible)
This information is intentionally kept inaccessible. Server hosts have the right to refuse access to anyone they want, it's their computer, not the developer's.
Yeah and it's my game and I don't want them to host if they don't let me moderate it.
All the servers ban my friend for having special powers in the game and that's not okay.
They're not banning you from your game, they're banning you from accessing their computer. There's a difference. You're free to enact means of preventing them from hosting if you don't want them to, it's not up to BYOND to handle that type of stuff though.
So I noticed my game was removed from BYOND listing now simply for making this thread? Yeah thanks. You people know nothing about my game you only believe dumb rumors you hear about "backdoors" and other devious behavior from angry players who will say anything.
That actually happened a week or so back according to the logs.
They're only banning my friend for having special powers that he earned by contributing more than anyone else to the game. He is banned on all servers with no way around it even by me the developer.

And why is your entire community electing independently to refuse to allow this guy into their games?

Would you be very happy if Lummox were to implement a system in DreamSeeker that allowed him to go in and degrade your games services by generally being an ass and manipulating your game's systems to in essence make it unplayable?

If you would be unhappy with Lummox doing this, maybe you could understand why your playerbase would be unhappy with your friend popping in and messing with their server.

This is a major error in judgement that a lot of BYOND game developers make: Users don't owe you respect for making the game they are playing. You owe your users respect for choosing to spend their free time playing your game.

Even if you could read their ban files, you still couldn't prevent them from banning your friend. There are a hundred different ways to prevent your friend from connecting to their machines without using BYOND pager bans.

Moreover, if your server hosts are banning this individual, maybe you should... I dunno, not have given that person any kind of in-game authority by which they could agitate your community to the level where they'd all want to be rid of him?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
That actually happened a week or so back according to the logs.

For what purpose? My game and me has done nothing wrong we've been existing in peace for years.
It was decided that it hasn't done enough to remove itself from the fan material it's obviously based on. You should have a message in your logs somewhere with details.
That's not as big of a deal as you guys make it out to be. Maybe you should rethink that policy. Fan games are nice.
Fan games on the front page with the ability to utilize the subscription are not nice and cause more headaches than they resolve.

However, this isn't the place to go into this topic for the millionth time.
He is not banned from the game, he is banned from connecting to a program running on their computers. What that program is hosting or who wrote it or who wrote the underlying program that program is hosting is all immaterial.

The reality of the situation is they control their network, they control their computer, and they get to control who is allowed to use their network to connect to their computer.

In olden times I could read who the host has hostbanned in my game and shut them down if they have me banned.

You still haven't answered me on how you were doing it before that was apparently disabled.

All the servers ban my friend for having special powers in the game and that's not okay.

I'm going to hazard a guess that they ban him because he's earned it.
In response to Nadrew
I don't utilize subscriptions. Never have never will.
Also I sent this to Lummox though I doubt he checks pager but you might want to see these facts too:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
In response to MrStonedOne
You still haven't answered me on how you were doing it before that was apparently disabled.

I don't like you and I don't have to answer you. Ever. All you are doing is attacking me without knowing anything.

That's right the Funimation scare in 2008 was FAKE! I know the guy who did it. My friend also pointed out how obviously fake it was, not even from a real law firm. Fake address the whole shebang. That's 9 years of DU existing without incident, and that incident was actually faked. So discarding that, 12 years without incident.
Your information is incorrect, I was the person who dealt with Funimation initially and it was done through the proper channels. There have been attempts to spoof these things, but none of those have ever gone anywhere. We do validate these claims.

It changes nothing, we don't publish fangames. Funimation-owned or not.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
He is not banned from the game, he is banned from connecting to a program running on their computers. What that program is hosting or who wrote it or who wrote the underlying program that program is hosting is all immaterial.

The reality of the situation is they control their network, they control their computer, and they get to control who is allowed to use their network to connect to their computer.

It's possible to detect when a pager ban has been placed using IsBanned(), it's also possible to allow passage through the pager ban in the same proc, using this information it was easily possible to tell if someone had pager banned you and do something about it. It's not even remotely possible to do anymore, and for very good reason.
Page: 1 2