Welp that's fine but I talked to the "Funimation guy" too and he was a fake. He had faked it on a massive level. I told them I would not be cooperating and they just went away. 6 months later they came forward and told me they were trying to destroy the game because I banned them.
Welp that's fine but I talked to the "Funimation guy" too and he was a fake. He had faked it on a massive level. I told them I would not be cooperating and they just went away. 6 months later they came forward and told me they were trying to destroy the game because I banned them.

There was an actual no-shit mass C&D done by parties representing Funi a long time ago. They went so far as to list every game on the hub even remotely resembling their brand --in some cases, they extended their lists to games that were deliberate parodies of their brand and a few that were wholly unrelated to their brand.

There have been a bunch of shitheads submitting fake C&Ds via anonymous mailers of late. But the shitheads don't change the fact that legal notice has been served in the past, and likely will be again in the future.

DU's monetization model lives well outside of legal grey area. Let's not dance around the issues. It's a fangame, and sells services to users in the form of in-game benefits.

Games that have been de-listed aren't being punished. They just aren't being opted in to a service BYOND provides.

DU's one of the least egregious fangames in terms of community-facing drama. That much is nice. But it doesn't make the status of the game more legal, or the nature of what it has done more ethical.

It kind of goes with the territory of what the game is. You guys have put a lot of work into your game. (I've seen the source code). There's definitely a lot of time poured into it. At the same time though, the policy has always more or less been what it is, and you guys have complied for the most part on the surface. But it's always been under the auspice of obfuscation moreso than an attempt to comply with ethical or legal standards of decency.
We must be talking about different incidents then. Okay that all makes sense. Thanks.
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
We must be talking about different incidents then. Okay that all makes sense. Thanks.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=180976#comment1119790
In response to Tens of DU
Tens of DU wrote:
So I noticed my game was removed from BYOND listing now simply for making this thread? Yeah thanks. You people know nothing about my game you only believe dumb rumors you hear about "backdoors" and other devious behavior from angry players who will say anything.

I actually took a look at your game, there are various super-shady things in there.

- You prevent the DMB from being started if a specific list of people are banned

- When the game starts up you make a connection to a set of web-servers to place bans on a set of people, additionally you also prevent people from hosting the game if they are on another list.

I call this a backdoor, it's bad if people want to host a game and ban you they should be able to.
In response to ErikHanson
ErikHanson wrote:
Tens of DU wrote:
So I noticed my game was removed from BYOND listing now simply for making this thread? Yeah thanks. You people know nothing about my game you only believe dumb rumors you hear about "backdoors" and other devious behavior from angry players who will say anything.

I actually took a look at your game, there are various super-shady things in there.

- You prevent the DMB from being started if a specific list of people are banned

How is this shady? This is management, instead of a raging banned person hosting a game and trolling everyone with his awesome admin skillz, this stops that and stops any damage that may occur from losing player/s ..

- When the game starts up you make a connection to a set of web-servers to place bans on a set of people, additionally you also prevent people from hosting the game if they are on another list.

Also again, just management limiting trolls and damage to reputation also allowing people to just have fun and play the game..

I call this a backdoor, it's bad if people want to host a game and ban you they should be able to.

No.

Regardless of the game it's all just management ..
I'm likely to agree with erik here (and you should know, that is a rare sight). What other game do you know limits who can host servers? has a backdoor giving the creators admin powers.

Like value doesn't go around tf2 servers banning people from hosting them and giving their friends admin powers that they then abuse to the point the entire server community starts banning those friends.

Its unheard of, because at the end of the day, if you are going to offload server hosting costs to your players by making them host their own servers, you offload administrative powers as well. Thats the tradeoff, and ten here wants to have his cake and eat it too.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
I'm likely to agree with erik here (and you should know, that is a rare sight). What other game do you know limits who can host servers? has a backdoor giving the creators admin powers.

Can you still host and play a steam VAC protected server when VAC banned from it?

Like value doesn't go around tf2 servers banning people from hosting them and giving their friends admin powers that they then abuse to the point the entire server community starts banning those friends.

True, maybe the management of DU needs to be a lot better, I was talking general, what he does with his "powers" is up to him, if he wants to ruin every player hosted game for no reason, so be it.

Its unheard of, because at the end of the day, if you are going to offload server hosting costs to your players by making them host their own servers, you offload administrative powers as well. Thats the tradeoff, and ten here wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Again, what he does when player ran servers is up to him, if he wanted to be an idiot and ban them, so be it.. It's his game and his games reputation he's going to ultimately end up screwing over. He needs to learn that and hopefully he will, either the hard way by some other means.

Can you still host and play a steam VAC protected server when VAC banned from it?

VAC protection is optional, its just that almost no servers disable it. That's the proper ethical way to do it. And i wouldn't be shocked if you could use admin status to walk past a vac ban on your own server.
Page: 1 2