ID:2221750

Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this issue, but for as long as I've used BYOND, it seems like the search tool on the upper right of the forums has been awful. Sometimes it takes minutes just to load the results, and a high percentage of the time, I just get sent to an error page and don't get any results. What's the deal with this? Is the search tool that BYOND uses in any way upgrade-able? Can it be fixed? Or is this just a problem that I have?
The database structure the forum uses made the search progressively slower as time went on, and over the course of various updates and upgrades it just got near impossible to use. It's been looked at a few times and it's just not feasible to improve it without a massive amount of effort.

Most of us have just taken to using Google with "site:byond.com/forum" before the query. While it's not as precise and useful as the forum search, it's quick and usually gets the job done.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The database structure the forum uses made the search progressively slower as time went on, and over the course of various updates and upgrades it just got near impossible to use. It's been looked at a few times and it's just not feasible to improve it without a massive amount of effort.

Most of us have just taken to using Google with "site:byond.com/forum" before the query. While it's not as precise and useful as the forum search, it's quick and usually gets the job done.

Lummox should just you know, accept help. Multiple people here have offered help on the website end of things.
In response to Nadrew
See, I looked into this, and I'm actually having issue figuring out why it's so slow.

Like I had to put in alot of work to get a simple mysql solution to be as slow.

I was able to do a full text un-indexed search (with no disk cache or other caching) across my entire forum database of 200k posts in 1.7 seconds on a shitty 10 dollar a year VPS with only half a core and 256mb of ram.

Add an index, some keyword indexes, disk caching, a bit more processing power, a bit more ram, and it can do it in a little under a second.

The point being I doubt you would even need to replace the entire thing or even re-work anything. I don't know what search system lummox is using, but i bet it could be tuned.

Even something as simple as tweaking some OS settings around disk caching, disk lookahead, and transparent disk compression could provide massive improvements.

And I bet if he ever answered one of my requests for more details on how that's setup I could find a solution.
www.google.com

site:byond.com your search terms
Doesn't work worth a damn oj. You can't limit it to certain boards nor control if it searches only titles, titles and bodies, or titles, bodies, and replies.

why would you want to
filter noise.

Honestly the forum search is a difficult animal.

There are two problems here. One is that when the database was last upgraded, we changed all the tables to a different format. This has been a boon to performance across the board, but not so much to text searches which as you're aware really suck. The performance we were promised there was never delivered, but I don't see going back to the old format as a viable strategy.

The other problem, and this goes back way further, stems from the way posts and comments were setup back when we had blogs. They should have been implemented from the beginning as a basic text object, but they were given two different tables. It was never feasible to switch away from that, so that legacy has kind of stuck.

I'm open to ideas on how the search might be improved, though I don't know what to do about that.
Are you able to give us a schema to play with?
I'm gonna work with some community members on this to see what we can come up with.
In response to Lummox JR
Just a little something I want to add: In my opinion, having a faulty search engine like that really disheartens new people on BYOND having problems and makes them submit the same questions over and over. I'm sure everyone new and old would probably appreciate it a lot.
^ it's true the lag time between forum search really makes things off putting to look for and is just easier to repost if it wasn't something recent
Just giving this a friendly update -- we are currently looking into some possible options as to how we can make search run faster, there are some possible solutions and I'm quite sure we can make search work properly.
Where are you guys at with this?
All the searches I do is through www.google
For example: "Byond games on steam forum"
Google sends me results of several topics byond forum

I almost never did internal research, I must be that one percent wrong kkkk

Search for google spend cpu?

Should have a place in which to have with the option to fix topics well resolved

And mold it with extra doubts on the same subject "quote"

Manual and human work, what has to be seen is the good practices
Similar subjects would be played in a html + = "subject" lighter without page change, from simple form, clicked the command throw there. Light page example

Http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/chap12.html

I believe in the power of ctrl + f O.o

ctrl+f = client side =D