ID:2221809

The Byond website was down earlier, at which point I noticed I was unable to connect to any games.

Does this mean if Byond ever goes out of business, all Byond games/dreamseeker will be unusable due to dependence on the hub server, or am I mistaken?
I may be wrong so don't take my word for it but

If Byond goes down you should be able to give players your, "DIRECT IP & PORT" but they will most likely if not 100% come in as a guest.

Once again don't take my word for it.

You'd just need another means to find a server's link, I believe.

I inputted a byond address into my browser at the time, and it worked fine. Just couldn't get to it through the hub, sadly enough.
You need to disable client/authenticate to entirely disconnect from BYOND, otherwise it will authenticate client keys and if that fails the client will be unable to connect.
On top of what everyone's already said, Tom has said in the past that if BYOND were ever to stop being under active development it will become open source, meaning there will be no hub reliances at all.
BYOND games are designed to be able to run when the hub is down. Basically you shouldn't run into problems with servers being able to authenticate accounts unless the server thinks the hub is up when it isn't.

Joining games from known pager links (the byond://BYOND.world.xxxx format) or from an already-open hub page on the website will crap out on you in those situations, though, because the number can't be looked up and translated into a real byond://ip:port address. But as long as you have the direct address--which is also saved locally when you join a server, so rejoining shouldn't be an issue--it should be fine.
The outage yesterday prevented even ip:port addresses from working, it resulted in 'connection closed' because the keys couldn't be authenticated.
Thank you for your answers, they've been informative.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
BYOND games are designed to be able to run when the hub is down. Basically you shouldn't run into problems with servers being able to authenticate accounts unless the server thinks the hub is up when it isn't.

Joining games from known pager links (the byond://BYOND.world.xxxx format) or from an already-open hub page on the website will crap out on you in those situations, though, because the number can't be looked up and translated into a real byond://ip:port address. But as long as you have the direct address--which is also saved locally when you join a server, so rejoining shouldn't be an issue--it should be fine.

I'm not completely sure this is the case.

Not even a few days ago the BYOND hub was acting funny, and during that time, I could not connect to anything. Made me wonder about this very topic.