ID:2221964

BYOND Version:510
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 56.0.2924.87
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Dream Seeker does not properly download .rsc files, instead choosing to download every resource file-by-file (icons, pictures, etc) one by one until they have all been downloaded, only to delete them from the cache as soon as the game in question has been closed.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Unknown - Issue appears to be limited to very few people.

Expected Results:
Dream Seeker normally downloading files.
Actual Results:
Dream Seeker downloading files one by one (and creating HTML files to confirm the receipt of these files).
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Only SS13 (No matter the code base used.)
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Tested under a Win 7 SP1 VM - Issue did not reoccur. Appears to be a Windows 10 specific issue.
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Appears to be an issue with DS on Windows 10, all versions.
Workarounds:

Use a VM with an OS aside from Windows 10.
I'll need more info on the circumstances where this happens, including the size of the resources.
Will do.

As far as i have been able to tell this occurs on every SS13 code-base i have been able to try, which rules it out being specific to one server. This happens when i open Dream Seeker to join a server, there's no prompt for DS to download resources, much of this appears to be temporary(?) files that sit in the cache.

The file-by-file downloading persists for about five to ten minutes, until it's downloaded every file (as far as i can tell, each file is around 1kb in size, with some notable exceptions such as .png files for backgrounds and the like).

Watching the resources download into the cache, aside from the previously mentioned exceptions, they're averaging from 1kb to 5kb in size, with a number of these being html files that appear to be generated to confirm the receipt of certain resources. It's very strange.
This is normal, what you are seeing is the downloading of assets for the browser windows ss13 opens up.

Because all of the interfaces are basically webpages at the back end, if we want to include a image or other resource in that webpage, we either have to either encode and embed it on the webpage directly, or find some way to get a file on the users computer so we can refer to it (or the third option, host it on an external webserver) byond has browse_rsc for just this. it sends the file to the users cache folder, and then when interface webpages try to load a file, it detects its in that cache folder and loads it up.

A little over a year ago, somebody at /vg/station made a system to handle these browser assets, and when I ported it to /tg/ I made it passively send them to clients after connecting. Before this system, browser windows would get delayed while it sent the assets it needed and actively sending them when the client connected caused a 30 to 60 second time period where no interfaces would load because they got put behind the queue.

After that it spread to most code bases
This is most definitely not normal behavior. This should not completely and totally freeze my game for ten minutes. If this feature is so wide-spread, wouldn't have this been corrected already?

Besides, even with that, i confirmed that this issue goes away on another OS. This can't possible be intended.
See, that part is not listed in your bug report, the freezing. just the odd way it downloads resources.

anywho, run ccleaner's repair registry function, the last 2 people who complained about this said that ended up fixing it some how.
I repeatedly mentioned the freezing and odd way DS downloads resources. I have already tried the CC cleaner trick to no avail.
I repeatedly mentioned the freezing

No you don't....

I have already tried the CC cleaner trick to no avail.

Considering you are already lying about mentioning the freezing bit I highly doubt that

edit, here is a cache screenshot of the thread for when they inevitably edit their post: http://i.imgur.com/Y75vLGp.png
Okay, i'm not going to deal with you at this point in time. Will you actually help instead of trying to cause drama?

I have tried the CCleaner fix multiple times. Don't want to hear accusations that i haven't because i'm very aware of what i have and have not done. Unless you can provide something constructive, please stop.
Quit gaslighting; we can move forward once you do the following:

• Acknowledge that you forgot to mention the freezing bit
  • Apologize for that. (doesn't have to be a big deal, but a "my bad" would be appreciated)
  • Acknowledge that you were wrong when you claimed you mentioned it multiple times
  • Apologize for that. (doesn't have to be a big deal, but a "my bad" would be appreciated)
  • Edit the first post to properly describe the issue, including the freezing aspect to the issue, and include detailed information on the freezing aspect.
  • Explain in a new post step by step how you tried the CCleaner fix, what buttons did you press, etc.

I have a good feeling you clicked "find issues" but never "fix issues". It's a common mistake. But that is still assuming you even did attempted it, something i still doubt because I do tech support for a living, I've seen users claim they tried a fix that they never tried, and I know how to tell what kind of users would claim that. They are the same obtuse kinds that will lie and claim they specified something they never specified, and gaslight and try to shift the blame onto the person trying to help them, as well as snapping at that person. All things you have done.

And for your information the reason it hasn't been been fixed even though the feature is widespread is because the issue itself is not widespread and does not present for more than a fraction of people at a time.