ID:2223480

On linux you can normally update your running processes while they run because of how the system is setup. The running process references an inode and not the file in a specific directory that you launched it with. That means even if you delete a "file" while it is running the process will still run just fine since it references the inode and not the file that users see when they are browsing the system.

My question is does byond access the libs at random or are they read from once and never again until the byond instance restarts. If it reads from them once then I can simply download the new version of dreamdaemon and use the make install and reboot the game i'm hosting without any worries. If the lib is accessed at different points then this could cause issues. Anybody have any experience doing this with byond?
On my systems I just install different versions to separate folders and symlink the one I want to use to a `use` folder, setting my $PATH to point to byond/use/bin instead of any specific version.

byond
use -> 511.1366
bin
DreamDaemon
cfg
lib
man
bin
DreamDaemon
cfg
lib
man

I have two helper scripts for this, `dl.sh` and `switch.sh`; dl.sh downloads the Linux zip release of the passed version, switch.sh updates the `use` symlink to point to the passed version.